Should we buy a new Baxi fire front for a disused boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Mum had a Baxi central heating system with back boiler and fire front for many years, but this was recently replaced by a new condensing boiler in the airing cupboard.

The disconnected Baxi boiler is still behind the fireplace since she is still using the fire front to provide additional heat in the living room. This tends to be left on a low light for several hours a day.

The fire front is pretty old and worn, so we were wondering would it be sensible to buy a new Baxi fire front to go on the old disconnect boiler?

Other options would be to buy a non Baxi stand alone gas fire. However although the fire itself would probably be cheaper, I understand this would also mean removing the old boiler and fitting a new flue pipe, since only a Baxi fire front can be fitted to the boiler and use the existing Flue.

We could buy an electric fire, but I think this would probably costs more to run, since the gas fire is left on a low light for several hours a day.

Please let me have your opinions...

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You have answered your own question buy a new Baxi fire front that is compatible with the decommissioned BBU, Baxis newer boilers are a load of shoite but the old Bermuda Range are the dogs *******s and will see you good for a long time

why don't you have a radiator installed in the front room.
better all round heat provided it is sized correctly. no servicing need as would be required / recommended for a fire, simple with little to go wrong.

It would be a lot more efficient to remove the gas fire, seal up the chimney and the combustion vents in the wall, and put a radiator in the room. Add an electric fire if she wants the 'flame effect'.

There really should be no need to leave gas fires on low for hours and hours.

Sponsored Links
It would be a lot more efficient to remove the gas fire, seal up the chimney and the combustion vents in the wall, and put a radiator in the room. Add an electric fire if she wants the 'flame effect'.

There really should be no need to leave gas fires on low for hours and hours.

Totally agree but some of the older generation like to have a fire on, my mum is exactly the same you could line the walls with radiators and she would still feel cold put a fire on and she is fine, who am I to judge

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back