A little help with a damp issue...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

New here and I will certainly be asking more questions than I answer (although I will help where I can). I just moved into a new house with my pregnant wife, so I'm keen to sort a lot of things myself so they are ready for when the baby comes and also so I can save some cash.

On the day we moved in I noticed a damp patch in the extension of the property (in the picture). The previous owners clearly tried painting over this, but it is now clearly coming through. The extension is a single-story, so I popped my head into the void to take a look.

It doesn't seem to me like the roof is leaking, also the top side of the insulation above the patch doesn't seem wet. When I lifted the insulation, the bottom side seemed a little damp and the board beneath it also seemed damp. There does seem to be a hot water pipe that runs near the patch, but this doesn't appear to be leaking or near enough to cause the damp patch.

I'm really scratching my head as to what this might be.

Could anyone help me understand why this is happening and what I can do about it?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
DoingItMyself(DIM), good evening.

Suggest you consider, leaving the Insulation "peeled back" to facilitate drying on the upper surface of the P/Board.

To check for roof leaks? place a basin over the marked ceiling area see what "drops in"

Ken.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back