A longer lead on a vac

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In the midst of a disaster, so no final conclusion yet.

Its one of those battery/mains wet/dry jobs De Walt jobs. It had a too short mains lead, but could be run on an 18v DeWalt drill battery. Its 6 foot long mains lead was too short for the stairs we usually use it for, so for a few years we used a short mains extension. Today I decided it was about time I fitted a longer lead on it, so I opened it up. Opened garage electric roller shutter to get at a roll of flex. The mains lead feeds an 18v switch mode PSU driving an 18v motor, via a T4amp fuse. I fitted a longer lead, tested it it worked fine on the garage's socket, so I boxed it all up and put my tools and the roll of flex away.

Took the vac in the house, as she was already doing the general vaccing round and went to push the button to close the roller door - nothing. Garage RCD had tripped, reset that, still nothing, socket MCB had tripped reset that and I was able to shut the door accompanied by a complaint from the house that the vac with the longer lead wasn't working. Checked its plug fuse, that was fine, opened it back up again and the SMPSU pcb fuse had been blasted. No obvious damage to the PCB, no obvious faults at all. Guess the SMPSU just decided to give up the ghost as I fitted a new longer lead.

Sponsored Links
Another possibility that springs to mind is that during your replacement of the cord a scrap of wire was left behind that shorted things out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back