A mystery for me

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
External oil boiler. Pump, valve and timer in airing cupboard.

Heating has been working fine.
Went away for two nights, came back to a cold house.
Room stat and timer calling for heat but nothing firing.
Flicked switch in external boiler and all started working again.
(The illuminated switch on RH side of black box).

(Not sure what switch is for but I assumed it was a lockout and something mysterious had triggered it).
But later, after timer had switched off, pump was still running and boiler was still firing.

Does anyone know what the switch is? (I'm now assuming it overrides timer and room stat).

Does anyone have any clues what might be the problem?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Sponsored Links
That switch provides a permanent live to the boiler, it overrides programmer etc

Your internal controls will be causing the problem, that switch will keep boiler running 24hrs and only switch off when Boilers reached temperature

The idea of the switch is to allow servicing to be done without using internal controls

Ok thanks for the info. It all seemed to work again this morning, so I'll keep my eye on it. I'm sure somethings not right though - as you say, maybe a wire's popped out somewhere...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back