A new industry

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone else noticed a new industry has started in the last year or so? The industry I refer to is the numberplate sticker industry.

Ever since people have been forced to display a European flag on new cars, many people have been rebelling against this by placing St George Cross and Union Flag stickers over the offending blue and yellow splodge. I saw St Andrew's Cross on the numberplates in Scotland too.

So, it appears that the EU has done something to boost industry :LOL:

Sponsored Links
I'm afraid this is to do with Blair's anti-british government to brainwash us in this country into euroland. I have bought some chocolate sweet coin for the kids and not one of them has a £ on it as it's now all euro sign. I has another number plate made up for my car without the euro sign on it.

Don't think there's a rule saying you must have euro flag on car plates - I have seen zillions without.

Some people have plates with euro flag + GB to avoid a seperate GB sticker, but you should use a seperate GB sticket even if you have it on the plates.

Sponsored Links
According to the DVLA, the Euro mark is optional and DOES replace the GB sticker.

The Government announced on 28 December 2001 the intention to permit the display of national flags and national identifiers on vehicle number plates. The Road Vehicles (Display of Registration Marks) Regulations 2001 are in the process of being amended. They will provide for the voluntary display of the Union flag, Scottish Saltire, Cross of St George and Red Dragon. Football team crests etc are not allowed.

So, it would appear that it is perfectly legal to have a George Cross etc. on your number plate.

Such a numberplate would have to be used in conjunction with a GB sticker. So, "En", or "Cy" or whatever doesn't class as a national identifier (by international convention). Still, does anyone know someone who has been stopped for having an "Ecosse" sticker? Doubt it, so you would probably be OK driving abroad with an England/Scotland/Cymru plate instead of a GB plate. It doesn't say how they would stand on Ulster or Kernow plates though. Seems a bit rough on the N. Irish to me, if we are all allowed our flags but they aren't allowed theirs.

Back