A new problem every day.....?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - newbie here and could really do with some help and suggestions!

We've recently had a problem with hot water - or lack of. I looked on here and found a couple of suggestions which I followed (topping up header tank seemed to work) but then a couple of days later, the pump starting making a horrendous noise and then stopped. It was 15 years old, so didn't do too bad.

We had a pro come yesterday to replace the pump but he couldn't just take the old one out, he had to drain the whole system and replace a valve before fitting it. Last night, it was making a really loud noise and the rads upstairs were hot but downstairs were cold. I repeatedly bled the system and then when I checked this morning, one was hot, one was lukewarm and the 3rd just off cold.

The plumber came back because we'd called last night but wasn't very helpful. He left saying that there was a blockage 'somewhere' although it could be air, and that we basically needed to replace all the pipework. It's 8mm pipe so I know it's poor, but it's all I've got and I really can't afford to replace it.

We were left with no heating and no hot water :( and as I have a 16 month old, am not happy! I've messed around all afternoon with the system and this is where I got to....

The pipe from the pump was cold and so were all the other pipes. I banged the pipe and could then hear the water moving - it got hot very quickly
The pump is VERY hot
The pipe to the pump is hot
The pipes going to the rads are hot but the rads are cold - even after bleeding until water came out
One rad (which barely worked when the rest of the system was fine) and which is the last rad in the system is now working (told it was last which was why it wasn't working well before...??)
No hot water even though the pipe from the pump into the tank is VERY hot

None of it seems to make sense and although the pipework is obviously not good, I think the plumber is taking it to the extreme, suggesting that I need to renew everything. He came out 3 times and cost me £320 to get a rad working even though it still doesn't!

Does anyone have any ideas on what the problem might be? Why would the feed pipes to the rads be hot and the rads be cold? They can't all have blockages surely??????

Thanks if you got this far - hope you can help.

Sponsored Links
sounds to me like the pumps not pumping the water so could be a blockage or the pumps not working properly. the pipes will get hot especially upstairs because the hot water will gravitate even if the pumps not working properly the heat will rise up through the pipes to the highest point but the rads wont get hot or maybe 1 or 2 if your lucky as the water is not circulating. If the pipes are blocked and the pumps trying to pump the water but cant the pump will get very hot as it is over working and wont be long before it will need replacing again trying flushing the system first before thinking of changing all the pipe work because if you have got no hot water then the blockage is not in the smaller pipe work but in the larger pipework before it gets to the port valve/s

Make sure that the valves either side of the new pump have been opened fully as a start.

Make sure that the valves either side of the new pump have been opened fully as a start.

how many times does that happen :LOL: :LOL: its embarrassing when you search for ages only to discover that you haven't turned one back on LOL

OP the other thing could be air in the pump unscrew the big silver cap on the pump to release any air and retighten.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back