A Night at the Opera

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I couldn't see what the fuss was about Angela Raynor for having the temerity to go to Glyndebourne - was it because 'folk oop norf' are supposed to listen to brass bands and nose-whistling? I've enjoyed a night out at the Albert Hall as much as the next bloke but would you go to an opera, or the symphony, or even a ballet?

And yes, it was a great album too...

QUEEN_A%2BNIGHT%2BAT%2BTHE%2BOPERA%2B-%2B1ST%2B-%2BVG-629225.jpg

Sponsored Links
Tom Eisner, a working-class lad from Buxton near where I grew up kindly invited me. He’s been playing violin at Glyndebourne for 36 years. Never let anyone tell you you’re not good enough.

Angela forgets to mention that Tom was suspended from the London Philharmonic Orchestra for 9 months for anti semitism.

Tom Eisner, a working-class lad from Buxton near where I grew up kindly invited me. He’s been playing violin at Glyndebourne for 36 years. Never let anyone tell you you’re not good enough.

Angela forgets to mention that Tom was suspended from the London Philharmonic Orchestra for 9 months for anti semitism.
In 2011 he signed a letter to The Independent newspaper along with 3 other musicians in support of banning the Israel Philharmonic at that years Proms concert by claiming that Israel was an apartheid state. The IPOs concert was repeatedly interrupted by anti-Israel protestors.
Pointing this out doesn't make him an anti-semite as far as i'm concerned.

Their protest seems sound to me. Palestine has no recognised status at the UN, its people are regularly subjected to suspicion and searches on a daily basis. The Gaza Strip and West Bank are no more than ghettos.

Maybe they should make an opera about their plight.

Sponsored Links
It’s just a phoney culture war.

it’s straight out of the Donald Trump playbook.
There's little difference between him and Netanyahu as far as i'm concerned. Only one of them is a war criminal.

Pointing this out doesn't make him an anti-semite as far as i'm concerned.
It's an odd sort of area. One Labour man hit grief for referring to a jewish supporting group that actually exists. Anyone who criticises Isreal's activities gets hit with it. Even talking to Hamas etc has the same effect. That rules out diplomatic solutions - usually the only way.

One such group

Even talking to Hamas etc has the same effect. That rules out diplomatic solutions - usually the only way.

Hamas have been designated a 'terrorist organisation' by Canada, the European Union, Israel, Japan, Australia, the United Kingdom and the United States.
Their aim is to drive the Israelis into the sea by force and take over Israel, what's the 'diplomatic solution' to that?

Hamas have been designated a 'terrorist organisation' by Canada, the European Union, Israel, Japan, Australia, the United Kingdom and the United States.
Their aim is to drive the Israelis into the sea by force and take over Israel, what's the 'diplomatic solution' to that?
if you recollect extensive talks was held with the taliban. Where it's possible it isn't unusual. If it achieves anything is another subject.

Then comes the USA recently talking to terrorists active in the Emirates. Then taking them of the list. Seems the Saudis where not very happy about that.

curiously similar to the Israeli aim to do exactly that to the Palistinians.

no sign of any diplomatic solution.

Have the rockets stopped?
The Israel situation is an odd one. One more recent move is military exercises where the locals have to move out for the day. They also have a rather extreme right wing group in their population. Planning permission doesn't appear to exist in the west bank and Palestinians get thrown out of their houses.

One of the curious aspects is that there are cities in Israel where people appear to live together without problem - ;) At least one any way.

A rather famous arab reporter was shot in the head recently. USA bullet designed to penetrate body armour as used by Israel. Independent reports show she was shot at several time before on struck her. 50 odd journalists have been shot in a rather short period for a number that high.

The police charge has been cut somewhat.

Guess what. Their parliament disbanded for yet another election.

Sponsored Links
Back