A one pipe heating system (moved from Projects)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just acquired my parents house with a one pipe heating system. It has all worked fine for over 30 years, but we need to move a radiator in one room, i.e. change some pipework, and I also want to replace the 1960s radiators everywhere with some more modern looking ones. Every boiler engineer I have had round wants to replace the whole system, pipes, radiators and boiler which will cost thousands more, the boiler would apparently need to be resited (it's only 13 years old and has never had a day off sick) plus we can't go under the floor downstairs (solid wood floor can't be moved) so we would need to chase down the walls. It seems ridiculous. Of course I understand it's not as efficient as a two pipe system but it works FINE at present and I feel I am being bullied into changing everything just to suit engineering dreams of 'how it should be done best'. Can I just move the one radiator and replace the radiators I want to change without changing everything? Advice please!

Sponsored Links
Well, it's your property and your decision. You might just want to consider how old the pipework is and what state it might be in, in places you can't see. We recently redid a whole house after just being asked to renew rads and relocate one. Having seen the state of a bit of pipework under the floor at the rad to be moved, we alerted the customer who decided to go for a complete repipe... Good job we did as on rip out, we discovered several joints that just "fell" apart :eek:

Sponsored Links
There are several different one pipe layouts and any work needs to be done carefully and using the right parts otherwise it may upset the operation of the whole system.

Also very few understand them very well. I would say less than 5%.

As you have found most want to start again.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back