One Pipe System

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We have just moved into a house with a one pipe gravity fed heating system. The boiler is relatively new and works fine, the 5 radiators upstairs all get hot and work fine, but the 4 radiators downstairs only get warm, not enough to heat the downstairs to a decent temperature.

The boiler (Ecotec 428) has been moved into the attic by the previous owners, could this be the cause?

Sponsored Links
just change it to a standard flow and return system , the 4 series was never designed for a one pipe system, surprised it works at all

Unfortunately, that's the way one pipe systems work. Hot water from the boiler arrives at the first upstairs radiator, where it looses some of its heat, it then passes to the next radiator where it looses a bit more before going to the next and loosing yet more....and it continues, each radiator getting slightly cooler water than the one before. So by the end of the loop much of the heat is lost. The more radiators there are the worse it becomes.

one pipe.JPG

Usually with a properly designed one pipe system the radiators at the end of the loop are larger to take the heat loss into account. Fitting TRV's to the radiators often helps as the upstairs rooms get warmer the TRV's close and allow the hotter water to travel further around the loop.

Ianmcd, has given you the ideal solution though.

That's going to kill your boiler fairly quickly too. It's massively oversized for the system as well as being fitted to an unsuitable one-pipe (which I think invalidates the warranty).

I suspect part of your problem is down to this over-sizing - the boiler is hitting its maximum temperature and shutting off before the system is up to temperature, because the system can't get the heat away fast enough.

Upgrading to a modem two-pipe system will help massively, but you may ultimately find that you need a new boiler as well which is better sized to the system.

Sponsored Links
I have tuned the boiler down to only 13Kw and partially closed the valves on the upstairs radiators, is there anything else i can do in the mean time to improve the heat flow to downstairs?

From what i gather, a boiler on a gravity fed system should be downstairs? so as the water cools and falls to the downstairs radiator, the boiler is nearby to begin the cycle again. With the boiler in the attic, how is the cooler water downstairs returning back up to the boiler?

It has a pump to circulate the water. You're getting confused between gravity circulation and open-vented systems

you are confusing your open vent system with a gravity HW system two totally different things

My house has a one pipe system split over two floors (ie. two one-pipe systems in effect) . Both independently pumped. Another option for you that might be easier than a full conversion to two pipe.

Even when i turn off all radiators upstairs, the downstairs radiators dont get any hotter? Is this a sign that the pump inst doing its job then? All radiators have been bled.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back