A rad in my living room!...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all - (again) :) - I have bought a new house and the only room in the house not to have a radiator is the (for some reason)!! living room (it has a leccy fire but still!!) .... anyhow, I would like to fit a new rad on the wall there (just a normal panel type rad really) - what size should I fit, i have a normal 3 bed semi, average size - any rule of thumb to this.... The boiler is a worcester combi (sealed system).

I am thinking of adding the new rad this weekend while the boiler/system is empty and before I re-charge the vessel and re-pressurise the boiler and add fresh inhibitor.

Sponsored Links
If combined with a thermostat, roomstat or trv, a rad can never be too big.
The bigger the rad, the quicker the room warms up, the sooner the rad turns off.

There are various heat loss calculators and radiator sizing calculators available on the web that take into account room size, number and size of of windows, types of walls, floors and ceilings, target temperature etc. etc.

Try three of them, and you will probably end up with nine different answers, try another one, and you will probably have sixteen conflicting answers :confused:

Then throw all your calculations in the bin, and guess!

Better to err on the large side than the small side, you can always throttle it down a bit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back