A real puzzler for you guys

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
About 10+ years ago I owned a trike, all road legal etc. on a Q plate. Sold it and forgot about it. Blow me it's appeared on eBay ( still in the local area) looking a bit more sad and rusty than when I had it. Problem is there are NO DOCS. or REG. with it (n) What's really annoying is I can remember my cars reg.'s from the 70's but haven't a clue what the trike was. I do remember what it was called by it's constructor though. How the **** do you get it back on the road without jumping through hoops with the DVLA ? It's cheap presumably because of the missing details. Any ideas?:notworthy:

Sponsored Links
I think, once you've bought the machine it needs an inspection to ensure its road worthy (similar to an MOT I guess) and then you can apply for a new Q plate courtesy of a Post Office form and also a form to claim new ownership......my memory is a bit vague though!
As far as I know, there's no database that relates a chassis number with a registration though.
Good luck with that one! I think the vehicle will be classed in the same way as a kit car or bike.
John :)

Update - it went for £200 so I guess someone will resurrect it maybe it'll stay local. Thanks for ideas.

Sponsored Links
The DVLA accepts various sources, such as vintage/old vehicle clubs and museums, as experts to confirm originality and age of vehicles. They might accept your deposition, if you could track down any old insurance, MOT or DVLA records, to confirm it was the same vehicle, especially when they have old records of chassis/frame no, engine no, despatch date, original regno.

I had the honour of doing that (but only on one occasion) when I was the only suitable person in my small town. I was offered a modest fee (but refused it). I knew where the maufacturer's stamps of serial and model identification were, and what they meant and should look like, as well as recognising originality, age and witness marks on fitted components. They will then issue an age related regno and re-register it

It now seems to be impossible (or virtually so) to get the original reg no re-issued to the vehicle after it has lapsed

Back