A roller coaster day for the car and wallet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I noticed a front brake had seized and when the garage I've used lately couldn't fit me in for a week I went to a big tyre centre. They called and said it was the caliper so both disks and pads and brake fluid needed doing. A bit annoying as the other side seized a year ago so the pads and disks we pretty fresh. The usual garage charged £230 last year. the tyre firm said it would be £460. I needed it doing so had to agree. An hour later they phoned, they'd snapped a bolt and wanted me to collect the car as they didn't want the problem and said the main dealer wouldn't sell them the parts. I called VW they couldn't do it for 8 days and wanted £950. The cars worth about the same amount. I took it to a small firm to see if he could do anything. He said leave it with me I'll let you know. A bit later he called. He'd got the bolt out, said the disks and pads were like brand new and he had a bolt already. He tested the fluid and said it was fine. He said "£125 and collect when you like".
What a result.

Sponsored Links
Typical of both the big names and the small local. Find one you trust and stick with them (y)
Yes. I knew I would pay a premium with a big company but not double.
I'm not sure how many garages even small ones would be prepared to do the minimum amount of work though? This guy felt loosening the callipers and reusing the pads and disks was likely even before he'd seen them. I think most garages would replace regardless.

All you need now is some compensation from tyre company for your wasted time and damage to your car. They will have a Google or trustpilot review page - hopefully you will name and shame them.

Sponsored Links
All you need now is some compensation from tyre company for your wasted time and damage to your car. They will have a Google or trustpilot review page - hopefully you will name and shame them.
They got their excuses in claiming it must have got hot to cause the snap. I don't think so, I think I noticed as soon as the mpg's dropped.
Probably the worse thing is they told me to collect it asap as they needed space. So I was driving it with only one bolt holding the brake in unknowingly.

They got their excuses in claiming it must have got hot to cause the snap. I don't think so, I think I noticed as soon as the mpg's dropped.
Probably the worse thing is they told me to collect it asap as they needed space. So I was driving it with only one bolt holding the brake in unknowingly.

Absolutely shocking, that they should send you out in that condition. Problem is these days, not many are actually motor engineers, they are just component swappers. They don't fix anything, they just swap and hope.

NEVER EVER go to the fast-fit crowd for anything other than tyres or exhausts. Years ago, I took my Corsa for tyres, and when the wheels came off it was noticed the pads were low. I was asked if I wanted the pads done as well. The price was OK so I said yes. The "mechanic" doing the job started to remove the caliper carrier from the stub axle. I asked him what he was doing, and told him that the caliper to stub axle bolts had to be replaced if removed, and tightened to a specific torque. He ignored me, so I told the depot manager to "get that idiot" away from my car. I bought the pads and went home on did the job properly myself. I am a skilled mechanic, which neither the manager or the "mechanic" knew. I also checked the wheel nut torque with my own torque wrench before leaving, much to their surprise!

I am a skilled mechanic, which neither the manager or the "mechanic" knew. I also checked the wheel nut torque with my own torque wrench before leaving, much to their surprise!

Not a mechanic, but I am likely more mechanically skilled than most mechanics - I always insist they leave the nuts just snug and I will finish them properly with my own torque wrench before I drive off. I would not class any of the quick fit employees as mechanics, they are just semi skilled parts shifters.

I always insist they leave the nuts just snug and I will finish them properly with my own torque wrench before I drive off.

Rude Harry, just rude.

I just gun the nuts up until they will go no more. ;)

Seriously though, if anyone didn’t trust me to tighten their wheel nuts correctly, I’d tell them to **** off and do the whole job themselves.

Last edited:
Not a mechanic, but I am likely more mechanically skilled than most mechanics
I wonder why I did an apprenticeship and went to college for four years.
I admit that a bairn with a biscuit arse couldremove and refit a set of pads but, there's a bit more to it than that when it comes to doing it properly.
You don't trust a person with the training to torque a nut? I find comments like that a bit offensive.

I wonder why I did an apprenticeship and went to college for four years.
I admit that a bairn with a biscuit arse couldremove and refit a set of pads but, there's a bit more to it than that when it comes to doing it properly.
You don't trust a person with the training to torque a nut? I find comments like that a bit offensive.

I didn't intend any offence to any genuine, qualified people, it's just that their are so many who claim to be, but are totally useless. It's not just mechanics, it includes most industries.

To some extent I am with Harry on this. Over the years I have come across some highly qualified people who were not competent when it came to using the skills / knowledge which they were qualified in..

The mention of torquing up wheel nuts reminds me of some electrical bus bar bolts that were sheared when the qualified technician used a torque wrench and assumed it was accurate.

The mention of torquing up wheel nuts reminds me of some electrical bus bar bolts that were sheared when the qualified technician used a torque wrench and assumed it was accurate.

Plus the qualified mechanic, who kept pumping a litre of fluid into my clutch system, and despite my protests that it was flooding out all over my floor carpet.

Then the qualified MOT inspector who put a deliberate twist in the rubber boot on my steering rack, so he could fail it and claim a fee to fix it. He just wasn't aware I was watching the proceedings.

Then there was the garage who fitted me a new tyre, with the compressor turned off and the fitter then used his windy gun to tighten the wheel nuts up. I only got half a mile, before almost losing the wheel.

I could go on, but you get the idea?

Last edited:
I am an ex royal navy marine artificer used to working on steam plants, gas turbines, 16 cylinder diesels etc. Girl in the local parts shop told me I couldn't possibly have been given the wrong wiper blades and to take my car down for her to fit them.

Oh how I laughed, as she tried to fit them for 30 minutes before giving me my refund!

Seriously though, if anyone didn’t trust me to tighten their wheel nuts correctly, I’d tell them to **** off and do the whole job themselves.

But I do ;)

It only takes one bad experience to wreck it for the genuine ones. In many cases, the bad ones can get away with it because the customer knows even less than they do.

Sponsored Links
Back