A straight answer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can any of you guys out there answer this supposedly simple plumbing question for me. Despite having been a plumber for about 7 years I have been told all sorts of answers and never got to the bottom of this one.

Here goes

What is the minimum distance acceptable from the bottom of a cold water storage tank to the top outlet of a hot water water cylinder that it is feeding?

Any answers will be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
If you consider that an Elson or Fortic type combination tank has virtually no vertical head, then that should answer your question.

The main criterior is the height of any draw offs relative to this point.

Good point. All draw offs will be on the floor below as I am considering having cws tank and dhw cylinder all up in a loft.

Thanks

Don't expect much pressure tho.......head is so slight the water will have time to wipe its feet as it leaves the taps....

Sponsored Links
Moving the hot cylinder isn't going to make any difference to the static head at the outlets on the floor below - that's purely down to the position of the cold water storage.

What will change is the flow rate from the cold storage to the hot cylinder with the reduced head available, increasing the chance of drawing air down the open vent.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back