a thin layer of plaster is coming off when painting.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi there,

i've stripped the bathroom of its old wallpaper, fixed a few holes etc.

the walls are a bit uneven and messy but i can live with a few cracks and bumps. i went over the worse bits with a sander.

i started painting with a roller just now and when i reached one section a thin layer of plaster started coming away on the roller. this broke into small pieces and then spread out a bit.

so i guess the previous owners applied a thin layer of plaster to cover cracks and now it's kind of flaking off.

i've stopped and cleaned the roller, but what do i do now?

i guess i have to wait till the paints dry then try and get the broken plaster bits off.

has anyone got any tips for getting the wall suitable for painting?

cheers

Sponsored Links
It's a pain when that happens but very common. Best bet is to water the paint down a great deal to reduce the suction. When it is stable you can apply a finish coat.

Paint the walls with some watered down PVA adhesive prior to trying to paint them ,this should do the trick. ,

Sponsored Links
Paint the walls with some watered down PVA adhesive prior to trying to paint them ,this should do the trick. ,

Don't do this. The paint won't stick to PVA and will peel off.

Never had a problem with paint not sticking when the walls have had PVA on them in fact the total opposite. The emulsion becomes extremely durable and easy to overpaint.

I have found watereddown emulsion leads to repaint problems in the future. The emulsion peels, crazes and also wipes off with a damp cloth just what you want in a bathroom. I am sure most people with new build houses will find this to be a problem next time they come to decorate mainly due to the method you suggested being used by the contactors .

You are wrong. That's all there is to it.

Many ways to skin a cat.

Never ever had a single issue with emulsion not adhereing after coating with a light coat of watered down PVA.

I used Evo Stick wood glue in my bathroom due to peeling and flakyplaster like the original poster described , 2 years later and it still looks as good as the day I painted it.

You were just lucky. PVA and paint don't get along.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back