A wall project

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I hope I'm posting this in the right place... sorry to cause you trouble if I didn't...

A friend of mine wanted to undertake an interesting project to his home, in which he would break down the upper half of all the interior walls, or at least as many as were possible. We know nothing about construction and the possible logistics of such a plan, but I was wondering if there were any way possible that this could be done. If necessary, he is willing to leave some gaps of wall extending to the ceiling for support, but any unneeded interior wall would be taken down.

If there is any way this can be done (nevermind the specifics of his home, we are wondering in a general sense for now), what tools/services would we use, and what are the logistics that we need to know? And also, does the number of the stories in the building matter? He lives in a two story house, but we were also very curious if it would matter if it was a 10 story building that had its walls gutted.

Thanks very much for your time and help,

Jonathan

Sponsored Links
Removing all the internal walls is quite an undertaking. Is the house in Canada? It matters alot what construction the house is, timber frame, brick/block, concrete, steel. Also what floor material has beed used on all floors. Which floor you intend to do this on. Size of property, detached, semi, bungalow etc.

The basics of it are that unless its a concrete or steel framed building the cost of removing all the walls would probably be about 1/2 the cost of building a new house. If its a traditionally built property (as in timber and brick/block) then you would need to reframe all the walls with steelwork, probably do local foundation work etc.

Anyways give some more info on the house and location

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back