Aaah help. Leaking External pipe!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have recently found that an external pipe (which I suspect to be linked to the bathroom) has suddenly started dripping water.

See the photo here:

//www.diynot.com/network/littlemonkey/albums/4166

^ In the photo, the pipe is a little copper one that sits just above the window.

I don't know why it is leaking. I've lived in the house for over a year and now suddenly it has started dripping water.

Does anyone know what this pipe is for and how I can stop it dripping water?

The dripping is continuous and I have no idea what has triggered it.

Thanks in advance. :)

Sponsored Links
there is no photo //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=129539

as you're in the house and we aren't, start by trying to track down where the other end of the pipe is.

Look in the WC cistern to see if it is over-full, if not, try the cold water tank in the loft and the feed and expansion tank.

Also consider if the pipe is anywhere near your boiler.

Hi,

Photos are in the album now. :oops:

There are two possible places that the pipe comes from:

either the bathroom or the water tank.

For the last few years it has never seemed to drip water and I presumed it was some kind of ventilation pipe but over the last few days it suddenly started dripping water.

I've got no idea what triggered it or what the pipe does.

Looking at the picture, are there any thoughts?

Sorry for being such a newbie in not providing more clarity.

look in the cistern and the water tank

quite likely the float valve is jammed, worn or has grit in the valve. Measure it and buy a new one. They are so cheap that it is not worth your time repairing the old one (but you can, at your leisure, and keep it as a spare for next time)

you can often leave the old stem in place and replace from the large ring nut (you will see what I mean when you have the new one)

Sponsored Links
look in the cistern and the water tank

quite likely the float valve is jammed, worn or has grit in the valve. Measure it and buy a new one. They are so cheap that it is not worth your time repairing the old one (but you can, at your leisure, and keep it as a spare for next time)

you can often leave the old stem in place and replace from the large ring nut (you will see what I mean when you have the new one)

Thanks johnD. Can you tell me what the pipe is called? Just so i at least sound like i know what i'm talking about when i try to explain which pipe the water is dripping from.

:)

When you have looked in the cistern and the water tank you will know where it is coming from. Probably the valve is not shutting off when the tank is full so it is overflowing. The pipe is probably an overflow pipe (warning pipe) though it should be plastic not copper.

If it is supplied from the water mains you want a Part 2 valve like this. Note it has a bridge over the top to squirt the water downwards
p1031886_l.jpg

Was just reading this post - my toilet cistern is fed from the mains (is a direct system) but I have a plastic float valve in it. Is this a problem..... should I change it? I remember when it was fitted it had a spare valve seat with it (so I guess one for higher pressure was fitted).

WC cisterns often have plastic valves. If it is fed from the mains it must have that bridge I mentioned.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back