Access hatch for drain in conservatory?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - apologies if this is the wrong forum!

I'm looking for an access hatch or lid to cover a drain in our conservatory. I'm not sure of the proper term. Not sure if it is a manhole cover, as it would be a very small man who could fit down there.

The previous owners of the house put a conservatory on the back of the house but left this drain loosely covered by a tile; it just sits over the hole. It is useful, as the drain gets clogged at least twice a year from the long run from the kitchen.

Ideally I'd like to cover this with something more fit for purpose, but not sure of what the part is called - or if they make them in this size, the tiles are ~30.5cm x 30.5cm.

Any help appreciated!

drain-1.jpg
drain-2.jpg

Sponsored Links
Possibly a cast aluminium rodding eye and cover? Alternatively talk to a local builders merchant about recessed manhole covers. These are made in various sizes and depth of recess to accommodate such diverse materials as tarmac, pave blocks, tiling and even industrial vinyl flooring and cork flooring (some need a screed infill to get them to the correct level for the finish floor material). I've come across one commercial flooring supplier in the past who could also supply them, but I don't know if they were the exception. To install a manhole cover and its frame you will need to dig up a section of the floor, possibly cast a (concrete) foundation to support the frame (these are bolted down), repair the floor and finally retile the area to make a thorough job of it - maybe the reason why the job got fudged in the first place. Even ridding eyes require some form of foundation to fit on, although the size is smaller than most manhole covers

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back