Conservatory- drains

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
building a conservatory Self build...

I live in a semi detached property and the last serving house on the drains everything goes to next door then out off her front..

its a combined sewer both foul and top water....
Question 1 would i need to get build over permision to build over the pipes... even tho the drains are private from what i can see on united uttiltes info i have no way possible off moving the mahole outside the conservatory so would be puttting double sealed unit.
Question 2 is there anyway i could hide this i.e have it below my Floor level with some sort off access hatch to it.... id love to move it but my conservatory is going the full lengh off the back off my house as its only small around 4.2meters

its single 4inch main to be honenst not sure why its there as there is no change off direction in the manhole it straight channel from front to back my only guess is for Rodding access

Question 3 Could i remove this as i also have Rodding access in my internal Soil stacks and Repeace the 4 inch pipe back up

Thank you sorry about my poor grammer and spelling

Thanks again Jordan

Sponsored Links
if it's only your water going through the drain and it's on your land, you needn't get permission from the water company as it's not their drain.
regarding building regulations, you need to make sure it's all accessible for clearing blockages. So no sections that can't be cleared ideally from upstream.
regarding double sealed covers, you can't have inside a habitable room, but even in a conservatory it may as well not be there, because the seal only works when the lid is closed. The only reason to open it is because there's a blockage... that's when you most want to have it sealed.:sick: you don't really want to be rodding from inside the house, even rodding outside a tough blockage is nasty but at least you can hose down and scrub and overflow afterwards.
Generally builders don't install inspection chambers for fun, so there's almost certainly a good reason for it that you'll find out one day when you least want to find out!

I understand mate why am thinking can I take it off and put a ridding eye just outside the conservatory as I’m last serving property the main line can be rodded and you property can be rod via internal soil stack... id move the manhole but don’t think there is enough room but definitely enough room for rodding eye

yes rodding eye sounds much better. at least dyno rod can get access to rod downstream for most areas. Still restricts access more than an inspection chamber but way better than nothing.

Sponsored Links
You'll need Building Control approval to do any work or alteration to the drains, so consult with them to find their preferred option. BCO wont sign it off unless they're happy, so wise to get them on board from the outset. Personally, still preferable to keep the chamber, even if its internal.

Difficult to advise further without knowing the layout of the system, but bear in mind, if it does ever block up, clearing it is likely to cause an unholy mess, it is a brave person that undoes a cap on a rodding eye when the stack is backed up.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back