Access through the roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently had a loft room put in my loft and when they put the windows in, they did it from inside.
However, I now have a leak by one of the chimneys.
I suspect that this is due to damaged flashing or felt.
What's the possibility of getting access to the chimney through the roof by cutting a hole in the felt and then removing a couple of tiles and looking/ repairing from there?
If so, what's the best way of doing so? :D

Sponsored Links
FedUpDIYer said:
If so, what's the best way of doing so? :D
Scaffolding is the best way, working inside will be difficult as you would have to move more than 2 tiles & cut batten as well plus support inside your loft which may not take the weight on the ceiling joists and you may also accidentally drop the tiles below which could killed someone. It maybe cheaper to have it done by the pro.

Thanks,

I was hoping to avoid all that scaffolding stuff. I don't really know the technical terms for this stuff but each support is about 1 foot apart and there don't appear to be any other supporting horizontal battens. I was hoping to be able to just unlink a couple and do the work, put it back then reseal the felt.

Is it not really possible that way?

Sponsored Links
FedUpDIYer said:
Is it not really possible that way?
As Breezer said best to do it properly because from underneath you don't really know where the leak is coming from. I have done loads of roof repairs and it never where you think the leak is :!:

Thanks chaps.

I guess I'll get someone in after the new year. Have a good one!

You maybe able to claim on your household insurance, I did with mine when my gulley was leaking as it wetted my ceiling.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back