Holes in roofing felt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I finally had a look around the loft in my new (old) property and saw a few decent-sized holes in the roofing felt that exposed the roof tiles. The holes are around 6" in diameter.

Could these holes cause a leak into the loft floor? Or are roof tiles interlocked to prevent water seeping through?

If leaks could happen then how could these holes be repaired?

Sponsored Links
The tiles/slates is the 1st line of defence against water ingress, there are thousands of roofs with no felt at all.
the water can come in if there is a broken, slipped tile or slate above any breaks in the membrane.

Sponsored Links
I appear to have a damp patch on the landing ceiling (just at the top of the stairs). I'm not sure if it's a water pipe leaking or water dripping from the roof.

The loft is being cleared out next week so I can get someone in to check the roof out and repair it if necessary.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back