Hole in felt in loft...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I noticed some water in a small puddle in my loft, above is a small hole in the felt. I can feel the wind coming through the hole but when shining a torch though I can see a roofing tile the other side. It doesn't look like its damaged or anything but it is letting water though.

Is it common for water to get through the tiles and is only prevented coming though by the felt and just runs off? Or is this a sign of a problem with the roofing tiles?

I was thinking of repairing the hole in the felt in the loft with a square of flashbanding but I don't want to do that if the water will just be collecting behind it.

Sponsored Links
No, rain should not be getting through the tiles.
You have a damaged tile/ridge tile/lead somewhere(above and in line with the hole in the felt) on the roof.
Repairing the hole in the felt is not the answer.

Heh. The felt is a secondary line of defence- slates etc. are described as 'weatherproof' rather than waterproof so yes you will sometimes get water coming through them and hitting the felt.

Problem is the leak could be anywhere between the hole in the felt and the highest point of the roof (gravity being your friend and all that).

If you've got some binoculars or similar, have a good look at the outside of the roof, see if you can spot anything anomalous (cracked/crooked tiles, tiles not sitting right, chimney flashing flapping in the breeze, ridge tile pointing failed).

And if the felt has been done properly the water won't be gathering in it but will be scooshing down into the guttering. It might be worth putting a big tub under the hole and see how much water comes through in a week/decent rainstorm/whatever- you may find that it is only when the wind blows in a particular direction that you get water coming in, which will help diagnose the fault.

Oh yes- is this modern flappy breathable felt or old-school heavy bitumen felt? If it is breathable then the water may just be condensation

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back