Hole in felt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.
I have a couple of holes about the size of a beer-mat in the under-tile felt in my loft. They seem to have been caused by the felt rotting which is a bit strange because the rest of the felt feels sound.
Anyway what I want to find out is can I put a patch over the holes from inside the loft, would that be a suitable repair?
I have half a roll of under-tile felt left over from a recent porch alteration I did, would this be suitable to meke patches? What would be the best stuff to use to stick the patch, would flat roof felt adhesive do?
Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
TonyB-Ex roofer/C. Surveyor-
Hi-Normally a roofer would strip out the roof covering to allow the felt to be repaired by initially squaring the hole ,and allowing the patching felt enough size to carry upwards beneath the lap of the cross section above the damaged line of felt.The problem is with ingress of water through the initial roof covering itself it normally finds its way in through any holes in the undersarking,however it is entirely dependant on how effective your particular roof covering is.The expense of repairing correctly is the only real way of knowing the problem has been solved.If you repair from beneath which I do not advise,you would be better finding a roofer with a some acropol or a modern sealant that can even seal in water.(do not get on your hands as it is very difficult to get off).A roofing merchant would be the only realistic supplier of a substance which can seal in water which is not cheap,however you may find it to be the best option for you at the moment.(Good Luck).

you can get that type of sealant from aquarium suppliers, and as said it don't wash off your hands.

Sounds like 2 choices go to the Aquarium supplier as Marshman advises to presumably get a tank to put under the leak,well it may work.Or try a roof sealant which is repellant to water...there's nothing wrong with a laugh,when the suggestion is a sealant which is repellant to water from an Aquarium supplier...maybe this will set a trend for all roof sealers,however the roofing tradesman is generally the long term answer.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the help & advice, it's appreciated. I think I'd better get a roofer in though I have more problems than I realised.
The tile above one of the holes is broken, I cant really see the other hole properly to see if any tiles around it are damaged. I'm asuming rain has rotted the felt or is it just a coincidence that the broken tile is close to the hole?
Btw, what does an aquarium supplier sell this stuff for? I've got an aquarium & the glass looks like it's held together by silicone.
Just thought as I was typing this, it must be for joining pond lining material together, as used by Charlie Dimmock on ground force. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back