access to lv transformers and connections

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
had a two storey extension (shell) built, doing internal myself! completed kitchen area and installed 15 lv recessed spots, in ceiling each on individual transformers and looped. On 2nd storey now and about to fit floor above kitchen (8x2 chip) t&g.
on top of this is goig to be an en-siute area covering most of the kitchen area, I am now concerned about access to trannies! they are electronic, I presume they won,t last forever and i,ll need to get to them somehow!. Dont really know what i,m asking here perhaps just after some moral support!

cheers :confused:

Sponsored Links
make it so you can pull your transformers through the light fitting hole
i hope you mean ELV as LV would be a blodey big transformer and ive never seen somone fit a substation in their ceiling void :LOL: :LOL:

also are you aware of part P?

Thanks for that only problem is i,d still have to get access to the small junction box that supplies the elv, (screwed to joists some 8" from fitting, to avoid heat and allow for top hat hoods!). Now u mention part P i,d welcome your views, building plans were passed april last year, according to the building inspector because part p came in after approval I Dont need to supply him with a certificate for completion papers!! to be fair I think he was a bit unsure.
My father bless him is a retired sparks and although he still touchs things to see if there live has overseen me doing the basics, he,s changing the fuse board to a new mcb version(old cartridge at pres). I,ve used the net and recent books to bring myself up to speed with new regs, bonding etc,and hopefully doing everything poss to conform. Just for peace of mind all going well of course despite the building inspectors comments I,m still going to have all the work checked out and obtain a certificate, do ya think this will be ok? I found part P to be a bit of a nightmare to understand, have I interpreted it ok? many thanks

shouldent have screwed the JB :cry:

everyone leaves them loose in the void for this very reason :rolleyes:

as for part p, works agreed last year had until the 27th of march to be completed, im afraid you have missed your deadline. they might insist on a cert :confused:

Sponsored Links
thanks supersparks I forgot bout the march issue!! I want to be on the safe side anyway so to **** the old man off even more i,m gonna get it all checked and go for a cert, this should,nt be a problem should it (assuming everythings ok of course).

I screwed the boxes back to be by the book, but on reflection and heeding your advice i,m probably being over cautious and leaving them loose will overcome my dilema, good news is I havent put my floor down above yet so I can do as you suggest. Thanks very much for taking the time to read my post and to reply, only found this site yesterday and think its great, big boys playground eh
cheers :D

no worrys, building control don't know what they are doing if im honest with ya :LOL:

i wouldent bother with a cert unless your asked for one, im sure your old man can do the job fine :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back