ACER Charging Issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

Have a strange fault with my 9 months old Acer Aspire.

I normally use it plugged into the mains.

It has over the last couple of months developed an odd fault.

Basically, if you unplug the laptop from the mains & use it on battery power, when you try & re-charge it, it charges, stops, starts again then stops charging completely, and you have to remove & re-insert the power plug. At this point, the on/off switch will be flashing, as will the charging indicator and a light in the shape of a lightbulb at the front of the laptop. The flashing also stops when you put the plug back in again.

This process will repeat for a long time normally but occasionally starts to work normally after a while.

The computer will also charge fully if you shut it down, although if you shut it down when the fault is occurring it will not charge, so you have to make sure you unplug & plug it back in again to let it charge, even when powered off.

I have been on to Acer but they were no help, suggesting I send it in for testing which could take several weeks. Using my computer daily, I am reluctant to do this.

Sometimes the fault seems to coincide with moving the mouse pointer if it has been idle for a minute or 2, or sometimes when something happens on-screen - for example, I was playing Football Manager 12 game & the fault regularly kicked in when the game went from a text based screen to a graphics based match engine.

I am convinced it is software related, but I have no idea about this, other than it is driving me nuts. It's a very annoying fault with a very annoying loud bleep when the charging cuts off or on.

Please help me...thanks!

Sponsored Links
Hi.

Sounds like you have an internal short circuit.

Most common fault is a damaged USB port (Do you use a memory stick)

You may have plugged something in upside down, forced it and bent one of 4 pins causing a short against the casing.

If this is the case, a small screw driver and straighten the pins or even break them out.

Tape over the hole and don't use that USB port again. You can use a 4 in 1 in your existing working usb port. The 5V short will also be a symptom of the mouse not working.

I had this problem with housemates laptop just this Saturday.

Dan.

I had a similar fault which turned out to be power supply. Keeping the laptop topped up worked great but once discharged the extra required to recharge and run caused it to shut down on overheat. New power supply fixed problem.

Sponsored Links
Back