ACER LAPTOP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

My laptop at home has gone really weird. Havent got a clue with computers. Its an Acer had it only about 3 years, maybe less. When i turn it on it takes ages to load and when it does it gives me the option to start normally or start windows in safe mode. If i start it normally then the mouse pad or keyboard doesnt work, If i start it in safe mode then the mouse pad and keyboard works. But then for some reason in safe mode i cant actually do anything like open up anything.

Im not too sure what i have done to it. The fan on it also has become really loud aswell.

Hope someone can help as cant really afford a new laptop.

Sponsored Links
difficult to diagnose without seeing it...but the noisy fan may be giving you a clue...if its coming on frequently it could be that some of the vents which the fan pulls the air through are blocked thus causing the laptop to overheat, if this is so it can show itself in many ways most usually the machine shuts down. It could also be that the fan has developed a fault and needs replacing.

Alternatively it could be that you laptop has a virus on it...which anti-virus and anti-maleware software do you use..? usual suspects fore anti-virus are MS Essentials or AVG, for anti-malware Malwarebytes or A2 there are quite a few free ones like these you could use,.

Should also have mention Ccleaner which tidies up for you, getting rid of files left behind when you have been on the internet and it can also tidy the registry if you so wish.

Should also have mentioned that you can use 'restore points' to get you back to before the problem started..this only restores system files not your data files..they remains asis..

Sponsored Links
well my brother did that thing on ym computer which wips all recent downloads and stuff to clear it up a bit. I did have anit virus software but then stopped using it for a little while so it has just been turned off in the cupboard. Is there anything i can do on the screen where it tells me to press f1 and stuff. You may be right and it mite have a virus. Can i fix this? Im just upset cause i have alot of videos and photos of my son when he was a baby and i really dont want to lose the ones on there.

The anti-virus software I mentioned is free, if you google for it you will have the option to download a free version.

However my first port of call would be to do a system restore (you do not lose any data, pictures or anything else you have put on the laptop).

Go to Start, programs, choose Accessories, system tools, system restore,
this will give you the option of various restore points, choose one from before you started having problems and click to start the restore.

Do not touch anything (or power off) whilst your machine is doing this. The Machine will then reboot to complete the restore.

The options for restore are slightly different for XP / Vista ....

yeah i have windows vista. Is there any way i can transfer all of my files over or on to disk from my laptop with out actually using it. Like.....can i plug my laptop into another computer and use it from there. If you get what i mean. I will try this method aw well thank you. All a bit confusing to me to be honest. xxx

The easiest way to transfer the files is to put them on a USB memory stick. You just plug this into the usb port and it looks like any other disk..just drag and drop. If you don't have one then you can either plug in an external Hard Disk Drive or copy them to a DVD.. Vista has built in software to copy to a dvd...just pop a dvd in your dvd player and right click on the icon in windows explorer (windows key plus E gets you there) then follow instructions to Burn dvd.

You can get a memory stick from here http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_6&products_id=106966

for about £20 (thats for 16 gigabytes)

The easiest way to transfer the files is to put them on a USB memory stick. You just plug this into the usb port and it looks like any other disk..just drag and drop. If you don't have one then you can either plug in an external Hard Disk Drive or copy them to a DVD.. Vista has built in software to copy to a dvd...just pop a dvd in your dvd player and right click on the icon in windows explorer (windows key plus E gets you there) then follow instructions to Burn dvd.

You can get a memory stick from here http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_6&products_id=106966

for about £20 (thats for 16 gigabytes)

yeah will def try this thankyou.
Just seems one thing after the other with my laptop. I have to also use an external disk drive (if thats what its called) to put disks on to the laptop. Nightmare. Do you think its repairable or shud i just get another laptop#

xxx

Like most computers they sometimes get their knickers in a twist..it can usually be sorted out without having to get another...but it can take a bit of time.

Try the restore then we can move on from there if it does not solve the problem.

Best not to reply to people who try to wind you up...if you do they've won..!

Thats probably not an external disk drive..more likely a cd/dvd drive.

But you can use that to copy the info to like I mention in my previous reply.

Well thankyuo very much for your help. I will have a go at doing that tonight and see how i get on. Yeah i think ur right lol.....it is a cd drive. I will tell you how i get on!!

xxx

another thing you could have a look at is whats starting when you start up the laptop..to do this go to start, run and type "msconfig" without the quotes. then pick the start tab and have a look to see what has the box ticked...you can get rid of all those (by clicking on the box) except your anti-virus ..if you are running one, which you really should be doing...

Right, back to my bathroom tiling..!

Sponsored Links
Back