Cannot boot in normal mode

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My sis-in-law has a Acer Laptop running Vista Home Basic. Not sure of what her son may or may not have done/not done prior to this but the laptop won't boot in normal mode. When you switch it on the normal boot up makes it to the sign in screen but then you cannot enter the password. The keyboard and the mouse are disabled. The screen also looks slightly weird when you get to the normal sign in screen (this is since this problem, it was fine before when they COULD sign in normally). The screen looks like there are a few pixels off at the bottom of the screen and about 4 off in a square cluster near the top of the screen. When booting into Safe Mode the pixel problem is not there ie all pixels are working normally at the sign in screen and when operating the Laptop (I know it's not running in high res in Safe Mode but they are working).

As I say, the Laptop WILL boot into Safe Mode and work normally (as normal as Safe Mode allows).

I have tried signing in slightly earlier than the start up page loads and you can see the password in the sign in screen but it just freezes. I have tried updating their McAfee (in Safe Mode obviously), and running a scan. One result found and deleted but the same problem persists after reboot ie can only boot into Safe Mode and the normal sign in screen has the pixels off and no way of signing in. I have updated the Display Driver from Acer home page (thought it might possibly be a Display problem due to those pixels being off at the sign in page), but there's no change.

I have not tried Spybot or the like yet. Worth it?

Any ideas guys? Thank you in advance.

Sponsored Links
try a system restore whist you are in safe mode, it could be that a recent driver update (especially if you have auto updates on) has caused a problem, a restore will take you back to that point (you wont loose documents tetc, just system changes.

If what tim suggests doesn't work, i'd suggest; whilst in safe mode backup your files etc, then wipe the laptop back to factory settings.
From memory on an Acer laptop press alt+f10 (or alt+f11) on bootup and it presents you with various options.
Sometimes its far easier to just reformat.....but by all means try other avenues first.

Good luck :)

Thank you for the replies guys. Sorry, forgot to say, I have tried System Restore twice without success.

I'd rather not wipe the hard drive if possible kjacko.

Sponsored Links
well the choice is yours blas, however as long as you can save your docs and settings, i would't be put off by a factory wipe. It's the best way to clean your system out imo.
You could try try the 'Files and Setting Transfer Wizard' to save all your stuff including mail profiles, itunes settings etc, then wipe it, then use the wizard again to rebless your system with all your files and setting etc.
Horses for courses i guess. As i said try other options first if you like, but from personal experience i've often found it easier to save data and wipe than to spend ages looking for a solution.
Wiping also helps identify if you have an actual hardware issue too, cos if the problem comes back, then that's the likely culprit.

Yeah thanks kjacko. I wasn't knocking your suggestion mate it's just that I'd like to try and fix the fault if possible mate. Failing that then it'll be your process next bud. Thank you once again for your time and effort mate. I'll keep ya posted. ;)

dave.m have you any suggestions?

Blas....that's ok mate, no worries, it just one of a number of options available.
I was always of the mind of reformat as last resort.
But from experience with a few work laptops, especially Acer (oddly enough) i find it just the easiest solution once i got my files off it.
dave should have a few alternatives to try. :)

Blas,

Is the F8 key stuck down, this would cause it to always boot into safe mode?

Also, when running in safe mode click Start -> Run and type msconfig in the box and click OK

In the Configuration window in General Tab put a dot in Normal Startup

Then in the Boot INI. Tab, in Boot Options untick any options that are ticked.

Click Apply -> OK and reboot.

If it boots in normal mode the configuration warning will appear, just tick the bottom box and close the window.

dave

Thank you for that Dave. I'll give it all a whirl and let you know the outcome.

Nope, no joy Dave. Settings were right when I went into msconfig.

Will get the sis-in-law to save her stuff then Alt + F10 as per kjacko's instructions.

Will keep ya posted lads. Thanks for all your help so far.

Blas,
Sorry that it didn't help.

The 'revert to factory settings' Alt+F10 should sort it out, but it is a pia having to load all your programs again and update them the uninstall the 'free' rubbish that Acer think will be good for you. Done it 3 or 4 times on my Acer Extensa and it takes half a day to instll everything again.

Tell her to get Revo Uninstaller to shift all the stuff she doesn'y want:
Revo Uninstaller
In the final clean up only delete entries in bold type

Also use the Norton Removal Tool:
http://tinyurl.com/6oq8f
To remove the version of Norton that comes with the factory settings.

dave

Sponsored Links
Back