Safe Mode Doesn't Work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When I hit F8 to boot in Safe Mode, the computer runs a list of drivers and freezes at .

No buttons work when it freezes and the screen doesn't change at all (not even after 2 hours)!

But when I decide to run Windows normally, problems happen.
I have Windows XP Home Edition installed on my computer, which used to work properly, but as soon as I installed AVG Antivirus Free Edition and restarted the computer from Healing a virus (TrojanObjecDownloader), the system starts up as Windows XP Professional, using the Wondows XP Professional banner, which I've NEVER installed.

The Ctrl+Alt+Del function doesn't work (which I expect as the system is Home Edition, not Professional), I cannot cancel out of this logon screen, and when I do log on (there is no password for my username) the screen says "Loading your personal settings" like Professional does, then the screen immediately says "Logging off".
Finally, the log on system returns to the Professional screen, which says "Windows XP Home Edition".

From this I'm sure that a virus has corrupted the drivers to act like this.

In a nutshell, the computer doesn't give me a chance AT ALL to log on, because Safe mode freezes in the middle of running a list of drivers, and starting Windows normally gives me a modfied version of the Windows XP Professional banner saying "Windows XP Home Edition", which doesn't exist.
It is fake, probably the cause of a virus.

!!Please Help!!

Sponsored Links
Have you still got your windows XP CD?

If so, you could run a system restore booting directly from the CD - you'd have to go into your BIOS and check that the boot sequence has CD/DVD before the hard drive. You may have to do a full install of windows, but your files should still be recoverable.

If there's anything particularly important, find someone willing to let you install your hard drive as a secondary drive in their machine and then copy the important documents before you try the above.

On second thoughts, if you can find someone to let you install your drive, then scan it using some decnt anti-virus software and it may be able to detect/clean the virus.

I assume that as you have sent in this post you are using another PC.Can use the other pc to create a boot cd.There are various Linux distros as well as "the Ultimate Boot CD" The ubcd when created will load basic drivers as well as current av software.If you need instructions just reply or google for UBCD or Ultimate Boot CD.

Sponsored Links
Forgot to include the link.
Only reinstall windows as a last resort,but if you have nothing to loose i.e programs then go ahead, other wise try and fix it first.
The next time it happens then you will have a bit more knowledge.

http://www.ubcd4win.com/

Back