Windows XP problem

I might be getting somewhere.

It doesn't seem to be a problem with your Windows XP Home Edition - it's a problem linked to your Microsoft Office. That particular file problem is related to Microsoft Office XP Professional with FrontPage Edition.

Here's what Microsoft say about it:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/help/HA011185721033.aspx

Do you have the original installation CD for your Office? Or can you get a hold of one? This would appear to solve the problem. It seems to be to do with SP3 update on Office XP.
As you can see I have SP2 and as such if Microsoft think SP3 caused the problem I shouldn't have it.
I don't have the original CD as the OP came preloaded with the laptop.

Sponsored Links
Sorry, I'm starting to sound like a nag here (don't mean it, honest) but it's NOT Windows XP Home the operating system that's the problem.

It's the Word/Excel/FrontPage software aka Microsoft Office (probably XP Professional version) that's the problem.

Did that come preloaded on your PC or do you have discs for that?

If it came preloaded, you need to contact the supplier (eg Dell, HP or whatever) and ask them for a disc for Microsoft Office and tell them that there is a problem that requires the original disc.

One thing I did think of was if Microsoft Office has carried out an automatic update to it's SP3 (remember I'm not talking Windows XP here), it might be worth going into Control Panel, Add/Remove Programmes, check the "Show Updates" box at the top of the pop up box and then scroll down to Microsoft Office and have a look for any recent updates. If there is anything in the last few days since this problem developed, then uninstall it and see if that solves the problem.

Hi Alison
This get more confusing. I ran the Windows 'Detect and Repair' utility, from the Word Help menu.
What appeared to happen was that it went through a procedure which after about three minutes returned the message that XP Pro had been succfully configured, which is crazy as I don't have the XP Pro CD.
Any way I tried again to start up Word with the same error message as previously reported.
OH 'EK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

According to Microsoft, you still need the original Microsoft Office disc to run Detect and Repair properly (and I'm not talking about the Windows XP disc - it's the disc that has Word/Excel, etc on it). I'm willing to bet the XP Pro that it's talking about is MICROSOFT OFFICE XP PROFESSIONAL with FRONTPAGE and not Windows XP Pro - unless I'm totally misunderstanding what you're saying.

As I said earlier, try going into Control Panel and check for updates to Microsoft Office. If there are any recent ones, uninstall them and then try it again and see if that sorts it.

Sponsored Links
Can you not just un-install Frontpage?

I have Office XP pro and Frontpage and Publisher are supplied on their own seperate discs rather than built in to the main XP Pro.

According to Microsoft, you still need the original Microsoft Office disc to run Detect and Repair properly (and I'm not talking about the Windows XP disc - it's the disc that has Word/Excel, etc on it). I'm willing to bet the XP Pro that it's talking about is MICROSOFT OFFICE XP PROFESSIONAL with FRONTPAGE and not Windows XP Pro - unless I'm totally misunderstanding what you're saying.

As I said earlier, try going into Control Panel and check for updates to Microsoft Office. If there are any recent ones, uninstall them and then try it again and see if that sorts it.
You are dead right it is Microsoft Office XP Pro with Front Page which is trying to found.
I have deleted the microsoft updates 4 from 12/12/2007 and one from 29/12/2007 and I still have the problem.
I must apologise for my lack of knowledge in this area and as a consequence maybe misleading you.
My laptop is an IBM Thinkpad and I was not issued with an Office professional CD as far as I can recal. There is a facility for me to re-establish Factory settings but If I do this I will lose some data and software which I will have to some how recover. If I back up using IBM's system I think it saves the whole Hard drive to DVD and as such would save the error I find myself with. If I have to do it then so be it and I will live with the consequences, but I will explore all avenues before resorting to this measure.
Thanks again for your help.

Sorry, did I sound like I was shouting at you earlier? :oops: :oops: I find it really difficult to explain things sometimes.

I'm not gonna be beaten by this and you'll probably be sick of me by the end of it, but anyway...........

I've re-read this topic and I think I might have got some of it wrong, so can I just clarify with you.....

When you were trying to open any Office Documents, you were getting a message saying that the system was looking for XP Pro with FrontPage extensions, then when you cancelled that, it was looking for PROPLUS.MSI and wasn't finding it?

So you've downloaded the Proplus.msi file and are things ever so slightly better but not cured? I'm wondering if it should be saved to a different location to what you've saved it to - you've just saved it in My Documents or something, haven't you? It might actually need to be saved in the Microsoft Office Programme Files somewhere.

Do me a favour and do a search on your system for that file (entire C drive) and see if there are more than one location that it comes up in? Also, have a look in the recycle bin to see if it's somehow been deleted.

Hi Alison,
Thanks for your time and help. You may shout all you want I am not offended what so ever. We Numpties need a little shouting at I think.
When I first encountered the problem, every time I tried to open a Windows application such as Wird, I would get a drop down Window informing me that Office XP Pro was being configured. This failed and asked me to install the Office CD. When I tried to proceed I was returned some message referring to Proplus. Cancelling these messages resulted in Word starting up as normal. The inconvenience is annoying rather that catestrophic.
After referring to The Techguys, 'billynya' suggested I downloaded Proplus to my Desktop and use it by directing the error messages to load Proplus. This I did. Now what happens is different to previously, now when I start Word or Excel, a window 'Windows Installer' appears, If I cancel this immediatly then Word starts up normally, If I leave it to run then I am returned another Window saying It can't find a file Office1.cab. and affers a retry which achieves absolutely nothing
I talked to 'billynya' and he then suggested I download this file from his site but it is 200Mb which seems rather a large file when my Office Applications worked OK a few weeks ago. So I haven't downloaded this enormous file.
So my position at the moment is that when I try to open Word. I get Windows installer trying to load this Office1.cab file which when I cancel, word starts up OK. I might add here that If I am trying to open Word from a saved Word document, Word opens but without the requested document, I thenhave to re-request the document from file.
One more point which may or may not be significant, the Windoems installer and failure to find the Office1.cab file also happens when I am starting up my laptop from cold. This vever used to happen before. When this happens the Start up is put on hold until I cancel the window and then the Start up continues as normal.
I hope this all makes some sense to you as it certainly doesn't mean anyuthing what so ever to me.
Thanks again for you time and help.

Hokey cokey.

Can you e-mail me please? You'll get it in my profile.

Hi Allison

I found yours and Hysteresis posts here on DIYnot while searching for for answers online in regards to "office1.cab".

I was hoping I could jump on the same band wagon on this. I am also having the same issue as Hysteresis going from getting the proplus fin to the error messages in regards to "Office1.cab". What was described in Hyster's post is exactly the same scenario I have gone through with my PC with the same error messages and all.

If you can assist in this it would be greatly appreciated.

Tks :)

Hi Allison

I found yours and Hysteresis posts here on DIYnot while searching for for answers online in regards to "office1.cab".

I was hoping I could jump on the same band wagon on this. I am also having the same issue as Hysteresis going from getting the proplus fin to the error messages in regards to "Office1.cab". What was described in Hyster's post is exactly the same scenario I have gone through with my PC with the same error messages and all.

If you can assist in this it would be greatly appreciated.

Tks :)

TDKD'
I found my original Office Disc but when I tried to reload it, My code was rejected for reasons I can't understand.
I downloaded a coy of Proplus from a guy on 'Techguys' web site and this did not solve the problem. The Techguy contact sent me a link for the Office1.Cab software but I was reluctant to download as both Office1 and Proplus is on my original disc. I also thought this is not the problem as if I cancel the error messages, then the office applications start up ok. So my thoughts are that I have all the software to run Office Applications but somehow a link is forcing the start up of Office applications to do something wierd and unnecessary.
So alas I still have the problem which I am living with as all Office works and this problem is annoying but not catestrophic.

Sponsored Links
Back