New PC as XP expires, can I install windows 8

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a PC that has XP on it, the PC is of an age that I cannot download windows 8 onto it. I have laptop and a windows 8 backup disc.
If a purchased an unloaded PC could I use the windows 8 disc I have to load to it. Or even use laptop and PC as a network using a combined system?
If so how?

Sponsored Links
Your post is somewhat ambiguous as it makes reference to three machines.

I assume you are "scrapping" the old XP machine. I take it that you mean you have a laptop for which you have a Win8 licence.

As I understand it, under EU law, you may transfer that licence to a new machine, but, of course you must remove it from the original PC first.

If you do not have the 25 character code for your installation, then you will need something like Recover Keys to find it from the installation.

However, unless you have a touch-screen computer, I would not go for WIN8. WIN7 licences are readily available on e-bay (or they were prior to April 8th!!!!) for around £45 and will give you the COA you need.

The only other thing is to make sure you have the drivers for the various items of hardware, or know what they are to download the drivers BEFORE starting! Note that usually the same driver will do both WIN7 and WIN8, but do make sure you have the correct installation media (32 or 64 bit). The COA will licence either version

Thanks for reply.
I have laptop with 8.1 installed
I have dated PC desktop with XP installed.
Looking for new PC to replace desktop, as XP has now been phased out and prefer desktop to laptop when doing office work. Plus this PC is not suitable for loading windows 8.
So I have licence for windows 8 (with laptop), was wondering if I purchased a PC without an operating system (as cheaper) if I could also run the OS I already have with laptop, did not want to remove from laptop but share.

No, you cannot "share" a licence between two PCs. If you intend purchasing a new PC without an O/S, then you will have to buy a retail OS, or buy a COA and CD from e-bay. As I stated, Win7 is - or was - available for around £45, WIN8 is still "quite expensive"

Sponsored Links
Okay the hardware would include, a mouse, two printers one which is wireless and speakers. I have the installation discs for printers. Not sure if I would require drivers for speakers, maybe mouse.

You will need drivers for the printers; the speakers will not need a driver per se, assuming the (motherboard) audio drivers are correctly installed. The mouse always has its own, native Windows driver.

To clarify, many printers have their drivers included with Windows, but for those that do not, the driver can be downloaded from the manufacturer's website if you do not have the original installation disks.

My earlier comment about having the drivers for the various items of hardware referred to the on-motherboard hardware such as video cards, network cards, audio etc. Without the correct drivers the machine will not operate to its best potential.

Might be worth considering buy one preloaded with win8, but I am not a fan of this operating system, the laptop does my nutter in, why make things so difficult?

XP will continue to work forevever.......

they have just stopped supporting it - i.e. no more updates

remember if you do upgrade you may find all your other programs need updating as well!

remember if you do upgrade you may find all your other programs need updating as well!
So with no updates will that make it less secure, I currently have norton 360 installed, and pro version of microsoft office that does not require 12 month renewal which is nice!

As long as you don't need to fresh install it.

Microsoft has switched OFF activation for new XP installs so you'll only get 30 days usage.

You could of course use a cracked version or suchlike but you'd need to be a real thicko to use ANY kind of software like that if you intend on using that machine for online purchases !

Install THIS if you need to keep on using that machine safely !

So with no updates will that make it less secure, I currently have norton 360 installed, and pro version of microsoft office that does not require 12 month renewal which is nice!

It will only become less secure if there is discovered a security flaw that Microsoft will not fix. If there are no new exploits then it will remain perfectly secure. Don't assume that norton will be adequate protection against a flaw in windows.
In all likelihood your co pc would carry on working just fine and without major grief for years. Microsoft probably patched all the serious issues already. probably.

Windows 7 will likely already have drivers for your old hardware if you install it

The UK government have just paid Microsoft £5.5 million to continue to support XP for one year (just for them though) as has the Dutch government. ;) ;) ;)

So UK citizens should also benefit from this, not just the government.

Benefit ??

Well our taxes are paying for this moronic decision so I guess the NHS is on Benefits !

They were told FIVE YEARS AGO to GET OFF WIN-XP and they didn't bother. Now WE will be paying for that monumentally stupid lack of action.

Heads need to roll - Boll-ox need to be kicked

So UK citizens should also benefit from this, not just the government.

Sadly not.. This means MP's , civil servants, etc will benefit fro one years support (including updates) but the rest of the population won't (even though we have actually paid for this support through our wage packets) ;) ;) ;)

Sponsored Links
Back