Achieving neat silicone/beading lines

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've never how professionals manage to get such a next looking silicone bead line. When I've done it before, I've used mu finger to smooth the bead out and it just pushed it all over the place.

Next time round I used masking tape top and bottom, laid the bead in and then removed the masking tape. but when removeing the masking tape it still 'gripped' the bead in certain places and still looked crap.

How do the pros do it?

Sponsored Links
Getting the right amount of bead and speed are he main points. You can get a Plasplugs tool that scoops up the surplus. They work quite well.

Sponsored Links
So what point is there to using it?

With trial and (a lot of) error I have found that using very little sealant is the secret.
I work on the theory that however much I first thought I should use, then about a third is adequate. Same with the nozzle hole size.
Water with Washing up solution with a finger has proved the best smoothing tool.

I use kids wooden lolly sticks and a bit o scratch to make a bespoke tool for each job. Using washing up liquid and water as a dipping solution.

I spent years putting up UPVC fascia and soffits so I don't have any problems.

Few tips wet your finger before you rub it along the bead.

If while using the gun you get a gap just ignore it and come back, don't stop and start again.

Make sure you've cut enough off the end of the noozle.

If you're still having problems you can mix up washing up liquid and water in a spray bottle, spray the silicone and then run your finger along it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back