acorn vacuum collecter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Couldn't think of better title.

I have two oak trees and this year is a Mast year (Mast - spelling is correct). For those that don't know, this means they produce 1000's and 1000's of acorns, that need to be disposed of. I've experienced this before and have found my leaf blower does a reasonable job. But does anyone know of a suction tool that would be powerful and robust enough to suck them up. I've been told that standard leaf collectors are not man enough and can be severely damaged by the acorns. TIA

Edit - spellin

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks for the suggestion, but the last time this happened there was about 12 wheel barrow loads.

A billygoat type device will work. Normal hand held leaf vacuums mulch the leaves with blades but these would be destroyed by acorns most likely which is why they are not suitable.

Sponsored Links
Make sure you keep a box of them, and then go and plant a forest.

Only the bloody Americans could come up with something like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know what came first, but it is based on a single unit either nut or golfball collector

Thanks for the comments guys. Local hire shop has similar to the billy goat (£35 a day:eek:) but reckon I would be better off with a backpack leaf blower, because they are much more powerful than my hand held blower. So I'm going to hire a blower and see how it goes. Thanks again.

Have found a petrol lawnmover (with a metal deck) on lowest height settings does the job pretty well.

My mower has a metal deck and 5hp engine but it barely touches them, and the roller on the back doesn't help. I've been checking specs on blowers, the handheld expels approx 7 mts³ of air per min at an approx speed of 100mph, for backpacks the figures are 15+ and 200mph. So the backpack will definitely do the job, but I'm not comfortable with it being on my back, what happens if it catches fire?

A cheap compact hover mower. Remove the blade and you have a garden vacuum.

I use this method all the time on copper beach nuts in my front garden, drive and paths. Works a treat.

Acorns are a bit heavier than beach nuts, but not much heavier and mine can suck up small apples. So it should work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back