Acoustic Insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I’m currently refurbishing a large upstairs bedroom directly above what will eventually be a holiday let annex.

I wish to install a good soundproof insulation within the bedroom below the floorboards ,between the joists . I have seen this material called ‘Noisestop’ floor panelling ( 100 mm thick) and in varying density. It looks like it could do the job but it’s not cheap. Do you know if this is any good and/or are there any other cheaper alternatives recommended??

Cheers Andy

Sponsored Links
Not as good, but still reasonable and more reasonably priced - mineral wool batting (e.g. Earth Wool, Rockwool, etc) installed between the joists. Must fit tightly with no gaps. Then an acoustic underlay (or a layer or two of good old-fashioned felt underlay) beneath the carpet.

Using 100mm Rockwool RW3 for ours. This is sound and thermal insulation.

Sponsored Links
Filling between the joists with some sort of acoustic wool will help with speach, TV noise etc. But if you want to prevent the sound of upstairs footsteps on wooden floor from reaching downstairs then you need something more exotic. Are you planning to lift the floorboards, or to remove the ceiling below?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back