loft insulation with soundproofing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know the most suitable insulation (for attic rafters) to achieve warmth and some soundproofing?

I can add timber if necessary but aiming for about 75mm max thickness and it can't be the usual, very heavy lead weight soundproofing.

So I was thinking about a combination of 50mm foil Kingspan and 25mm Acoustic Earthwool. Has anyone used this, is it any good?

Or has anyone tried the acoustic fibreglass I think it's called superglass 32 batt?

Would certainly appreciate advice from anyone who has a warm, quiet loft!

Sponsored Links
How deep are your rafters ? I'm thinking air gap that's all...

The Acoustic Earthwool will definitely stop some sound. Focusing on the warmth side of things I would recommend insulating your roof/loft with the Actis Hybrid range or any type of thick insulation, they are engineered specifically for warmth and have a new type of patterned technology incorporated into their products that prevent heat escaping -- I myself have used this product very recently on my own roof.

http://www.jjroofingsupplies.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?q=actis

Though, a THICK insulation would be recommended as it will dampen the sound waves being produced by whatever you are doing in your loft. (Music, I hope!)

http://www.laddersandscaffoldtowers...ENxrbKcoO9Q8pNS_rSef0Q_klAm9gCkYicv-ES_Tw_wcB

What I have shown you aren't the correct sizes for your project but if you type in the size for the insulation you want in google, do so and it is guaranteed you will find some results. The problem with thinner insulation is that it does not dampen the sound as well as thicker insulation ( :idea: :idea: :idea: ) unless it has a specific kind of technology suited for that purpose.

I'd recommend a google search of specified soundproofing insulation.

Good luck with your project and I wish you all the best!

Sponsored Links
Thanks for replies.
Cabby, rafters are 125mm deep so I had remembered about need for gap.

Jack, it was actually to keep outside noise out but yes there will be music too!

I'd heard that Kingspan isn't that great so will look into that hybrid ins.
Cheers!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back