Acoustic (soundproof) glazing? £££!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all! I'm currently in the process of replacing some old uPVC windows, and seeing as we're situated on a fairly busy road, I'm considering the use of acoustic glass as a means of mitigating the noise generated by the traffic. I'd appreciate your thoughts/experience regarding this, especially as there's a considerable price difference! Thank you!
Olly

Sponsored Links
Triple glazed can be effective, especially if the cavities and panes are different thicknesses. Your glazing supplier should be best placed to advise

I've classically found that double glazed itself is effective enough at killing noise, but some other poorly fitting part of the frame is where the noise/draught is observed. I have some large PVC tilt n turns and in a couple of places in the frame they don't pull up well, no matter how I fiddle the keeps, the profile is just too slender and bows to a slight gap that lets an impressive amount of noise in

I found that adding cheap secondary glazing to a double glazed window cut down on noise very effectively.
If I remember rightly, a larger gap is better for soundproofing - something like 40mm if I remember rightly

Sponsored Links
My neighbour has acoustic glass, but he says that having a trickle vent negates the benefits. I'm now thinking of adding a vent in the gable wall (that doesn't face the road). I'm assuming that there are modern vents that span a cavity.
Thanks for your help!

I've got in the windows to the front of my house, which faces a busy road.
I don't think it is any better than the double glazed units it replaced. I got the manager to come round so that I could question him about it, his reply was "you'll never stop all the noise". But, I was sold it on the understanding that it would cut the road noise, it didn't.
I specifically wanted to queery him about the certification of the glass, as apart from the receipt, I have no way of telling that it is acoustic glass.
The glass is stamped with all the heat and safety ratings, but there is nothing to certify that it is acoustic glass.
Anyway, I wouldn't recommend it unless, I was getting it for the same price.

Really helpful feedback! Thanks for taking time out to do this!

Just extolling the virtues of mechanical ventilation with heat recovery, but most people balk at paying a few thousand for fresh air they can let in by drilling holes in window frames :)

Having run one for the last 8 years, you'd not get me to live in a house without one!

Just extolling the virtues of mechanical ventilation with heat recovery, but most people balk at paying a few thousand for fresh air they can let in by drilling holes in window frames :)

Having run one for the last 8 years, you'd not get me to live in a house without one!
Thanks! I'm joining the air source heat pump revolution this year, so it's a good time to look into new tech. It's strange that new homes are pressure tested for air gaps when building regs insist on the installation of trickle vents, which are, as you say, holes drilled through the window frame!

For a long time the air tightness regs have been woeful. They're improving but it's somewhat ludicrous to consider that while the UK insulation specs aren't far off those demanded by the Passivhaus certification (houses that don't have or need a formal heating system), the draught regs have permitted 15 times more airflow through a standard UK regs house than a Passivhaus. Insulation doesn't count for much when all your warm air inside the tea cosy is allowed to blow away..

I'm sure you're aware, but plenty of radio ads etc trumpet ASHP like they're some sort of drop in replacement for a gas boiler and it just ain't true.. insulate, airtight and ventilate right and you'll create a home that can be heated by a few kW of electricity running an ASHP feeding a large emitter (UFH works well). Its a hefty punch on the nose price wise, mind but one I'd recommend

Sponsored Links
Back