Acrylic cupboard doors for kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
looking at kitchen renewal. Is acrylic regarded as cheap or middle tier for a high end home?

We've decided against lacquered due to risk of scratches and damage to paint due to young children.

Sponsored Links
But surely not as bad as lacquered? And laminate is even cheaper right?

Just been looking into exactly the same thing, lacquer vs. acrylic-fronted cabinet doors (i.e. a sheet of clear acrylic about 5mm thick on the door front).

I know little about the subject but having spoken to numerous suppliers, read various articles and nosed around on forums over the past few months, I've come to the conclusion that a lacquered finish suits us best because, allegedly, lacquer can be repaired to as-good-as-new if scratched whilst acrylic can't. As has already been said, it appears that an acrylic surface scratches just as easily (some say more easily than a high quality lacquer) but it usually doesn't look so obvious because the scratch doesn't go deep enough to affect the colour layer (unless someone is really going at it, I guess!).

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back