Damp in Kitchen behind cupboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I live in an 1890's terrace which has the kitchen in an what one might call an extension (in that it sticks out the back) but it is part of the original house.

The kitchen has always been a bit damp on the sink wall (back wall) but I recently gutted the room and fitted a new kitchen. The sink has been moved to a different wall too.

The back wall did have plaster 'bridging' the bricks that had had a damp proof treatment so I hacked that off a bit too.

The problem I have is there must be damp behind the new cupboards as the back panel of cupboards against that wall is slowly being covered in a fine green dust (mould I presume). I have washed this with bleach for now but I am concerned about it.

Now the kitchen is cold (very cold at times) and has no heating in it due to it's size and the fact that the wife didn't want underfloor heating (she now has said I should have let you fit UFH).

I have one cupboard end which can take a small radiator (which should be sufficient to take the chill off) and due to the location of pipes one option is to run the central heating pipes all the way round the kitchen under the floor units. This would have the by-product of slightly heating the area behind the floor units. Do you think this might reduce the possibility of mould/damp as I'm not convinced it's not condensation as from reading on here rising damp doesn't exist...

Sorry for the mega long post but if you need any more info please let me know.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
damp and mould inside and behind furniture which is against a cold external wall is typical of condensation caused by excessive humidity.

The most common cause in UK homes is draping wet washing around the home or over radiators.

In a kitchen it can also be caused by cooking and washing in hot water without sufficient ventilation. Sometimes there can be a water leak, or water splashing on the wall outside due to leaking gutters or downpipes. An extractor fan will reduce humidity in the room, as will opening the windows.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back