Damp - Condensation or Rising

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Wondering if someone out there could help me with a damp issue.

Basically, about a year ago I noticed some damp rising above the skirting board on either side of the doors that lead from my kitchen to the garden. The building was built around 1900 and I believe the external wall is single skin and not well insulated as it is cold most of the time. We also have a washing machine next to the wall, and kitchen cupboard all along the side. The previous owners had had some damp proofing done with a guarantee, so I called back the company and they injected a DPC into the back wall. At the time they did not recommend taking off the plaster and we were reluctant to do it as it would have involved taking apart some of the kitchen cabinets (realise now this might have been a mistake!)

I had no issues over the summer but around October, I noticed that the wall next to the washing machine (i.e one of the walls that was treated) was damp again, but only where the washing machine was next to it. However we started getting salts coming through the paintwork all across the wall, but no tide marks or stains from the skirting board as we had before. On top of this the back of all the kitchen cupboards that run along side the side wall are damp to the touch and glistening with water and smell damp, but the wall on the other side of the cupboards has no tide mark or anything on it. The other treated wall has no sign of any damp at all.

My question is - is this a failure of the damp course, or is it more likely to be condensation as a result of the cold wall and lack of ventilation behind the cupboards? I've attached some images where you can see the damp patch between the skirting board and washing machine and a larger image of what's next to the wall, with the salts, but no damp patch.

Any help/advice would be amazing! We had the original company back to have a look and they were very unhelpful saying it could be anything really.

. IMG_4242.jpg
IMG_4239.jpg IMG_4241.jpg

Sponsored Links
Hi Amy,

There’s no mention of checking if there’s a leak from your washing machine connection on the machine or any other plumbing that may have leaked? Might be a starting point.

Thanks for your reply. That's another thing I was considering. I tried to get the washing machine out over the weekend (even taking off the skirting board) but it's really wedged in there.
Would have to remove one of the side of the cabinet next to it, but we'd have to do that anyway to re-plaster.

Have you tried removing the kick/base board that sits in front, or is this what you mean by the skirting board?

Sponsored Links
What's the wall like on the outside? Photo from a few metres away.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back