Actor David Kelly dies

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Perhaps not as well known as some but a fine actor (in my opinion), and seemed a lovely man.

Actor David Kelly dies

He was 82.

Kelly-jpg_123306.jpg

Underrated... Never a big name, but no doubt a big talent

Actor David Kelly, who appeared in the original ‘The Italian Job’, the Tim Burton remake of ‘Charlie and the Chocolate Factory’ and ‘Stardust’, has died aged 82 after a short illness.

The Irishman, who had a career spanning six decades, had a number of roles on television and stage. His most famous television role was that of useless builder O’Reilly in ‘Fawlty Towers’.

Born in Dublin on 11 July 1929, he began acting aged eight in Dublin’s Gaiety Theatre which propelled him to the small screen on which he enjoyed roles in the likes of ‘Oh Father’, ‘On the Buses’ and ‘Ballykissangel’.

He is probably best known on the big screen for being in hit Irish comedy ‘Waking Ned’ which is about the people of an Irish town all trying to claim the winnings of a lottery winner who died of shock.

In 2005 Mr Kelly received a lifetime achievement award from the Irish Film and Television Awards. The likes of Tim Burton and Colin Farrell were among those who paid tribute.

When asked about the possibility of retiring at the age of 74 in 2005, he replied by saying, “Oh God, no. Ah no... I will continue hanging on to the script until they prise it from my cold, dead hands.”

Michael Colgan, Dublin's Gate Theatre's director told the Irish Independent, "He was an extraordinary versatile talent... one of the funniest people I've ever met.

“He was just a terribly brilliant man. A great actor. I loved his company. He was a genuine wit. Besides being a very moving actor, he had great comic timing."

Kelly was married to actress Laurie Morton. The couple had two children.

http://uk.movies.yahoo.com/actor-david-kelly-dies.html

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Back