Actuator problem? Any help welcomed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, i hoping someone can help me out.

Following a power cut i am having trouble with my central heating system.
If i switch the hot water on the boiler fires up as normal. If i switch the heating on the boiler doesn't fire up.

I had a look around and found that the lever on the actuator remains in the hot water position even if i select heating.

The actuator is made by Drayton. The lever on it has 3 setting - hot-water, heating or both. Since the power cut it will not move into a position to provide central heating on its own and remains in the hot water position. no matter what i select downstairs.

However, i can manually move the lever and hook it into the "both" position and get the heating and hot water on. It doesn't remain in this central position of its own free will but rather because it is hooked there and if i raise the lever a little it returns to the hot water only position.

I can also manually push and physically hold the lever to the central heating position. Again the heating will come on but as soon as i release the lever it returns the the hot water position and the heating shuts off.

If the heating is set to off then there is a clicking noise coming from the actuator if i hook or hold it in either of the above positions. This clicking sound may also be happening when the heating is set to on but could be disguised by the noise of the pump working.

Finally, the lever on the actuator has traditional been tough to move but now slides to each position relatively easily. I can here it click into each position as i move it.

Any advice would be very very welcome.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Could be your synchron motor is knackered mate, but it could also be a couple of other things. But if your are happy to work with electrics & it's safe to do so, try the motor first. BUT REMEMBER ELECTRICS CAN KILL!!!

You need to prove 240v to the valve motor,and that involves live testing of several parts of your system wiring.If in doubt...Don't.These faults are easily and quickly identified by a good heating engineer.In some cases it may require a new powerhead for the valve.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back