Motorised value (actuator) issue. Please help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Firstly, I've a traditional central heating system. No combi boiler for now.

3 days ago the central heating didn't come on but the hot water was fine. I figured it must be the motor in the Drayton valve actuator as when I manually moved the lever across, everything kicked into life and I got heating. I've replaced the motor and all seems fine now except for a couple of things...

So, the central heating clicks on, the boiler kicks in, the pump turns on and the house heats up. When the central heating clicks off, the boiler turns itself off, the pump stops and all seems fine except that the valve doesnt close. The lever on the actuator stays in the same place!? The actuator itself is hot to touch which doesnt seem right and I can see that the motor has stopped but on the side of the actuator it still says "H". Surely it's supposed to return to the "W" position unless I'm very much mistaken? It's only when I turn off power at the fuse box that it returns to "W".

Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
It's a normal operation . After heating has been on and programmer then turns heating off ,with no demand for hot water either, the valve will remain in the heating only position . It will stay there until another function is selected by the programmer ( manually or by timer), or if power is turned off.
This can of course be several hours or more,and the valve itself will be warm as a result. Nothing to worry about really as it's designed to cope with this. It's not a good idea to cover the thing in towels / clothing etc as some people tend to do ,and cram things into cupboards around such things.

Thanks Terry. That's put my mind and more importantly, the Mrs mind at ease. Appreciate you replying.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back