Adaptor For Christmas Lights

Sponsored Links
If a few inches after the transformer connection on the lights there is a little moulded blob, this will be an AC to DC rectifier
¿Que?

This is what i'm talking about ban:

most of my LED lights have one either a few inches or a foot after the transformer. Those that do have AC transformers and those that don't have DC transformers. I'm not saying its set in stone but if the OP's lights have one of these then its a good indication he just needs a suitably rated AC transformer if its not clear by the label on the lights.

Sponsored Links
I don't know, which is why I asked if you'd done more than assume.

My assumption would have been that they were ferrite beads....

Could be one of them tho it doesn't feel heavy enough. I'll do you a deal, if one of my light sets stops working i'll cut one open and let you know, if i remember lol ;)

If a few inches after the transformer connection on the lights there is a little moulded blob, this will be an AC to DC rectifier
¿Que?

This is what i'm talking about ban:

most of my LED lights have one either a few inches or a foot after the transformer. Those that do have AC transformers and those that don't have DC transformers. I'm not saying its set in stone but if the OP's lights have one of these then its a good indication he just needs a suitably rated AC transformer if its not clear by the label on the lights.

That looks like a ferrite bead to me stops stray interference. A rectifier would never be built in line like this, or at least I doubt it!

Just to add if that is off a controller then again it will be high frequency PWM stuff so even more need for noise suppression.

Thanks for all the help everyone.

I have taken some pics below. I think it could be a AC adaptor that I need after all, but I'll let the experts give me the answer :)

If the DC 4.5 volt adaptor I have is no good could anyone point me to another alternative (preferably a cheap one :)).

Thanks again,

Daz

FGS!

"4.5V ~ 50Hz"

bangdesk.gif

ok it should be absolutely fine to use a dc adapter (you will struggle to find an ac adapter especially at such low voltage you would need to buy a transformer and case it up yourself) even if there is a rectifier circuit inside that plastic white thing - however just a guess but I suspect every other led is connected the opposite way so that if you used dc only half the leds would light.

That is my guess but if you want to investigate further you can check out the 'polarity' of the leds - the second image from the bottom shows an led poking out of the flower petals if you look inside the led you can see the legs inside the clear plastic housing. Look at the larger flatter piece of metal that holds the led chip (clearly visible in the picture) - this will nearly always be the negative side so if you can determine which wire this is connected to then you have your polarity. Check if it's immediate neighbours are connected the same way round too..?

Can you crack open the white piece at all it would be interesting to see what is in there!

Have fun :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back