Add 6" to my 4" Loft Joists extra insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1930s house with 2"x4" joists in loft which is already filled with insulated. Upon visit my Energy supplier suggests increasing insulation by extra 8", they will supply rolls of insulation and fit them free of charge to me.
Loft is boarded so this could be problem, I have to sort this before their job.
I feel we should remove boards, chipboard tongue/grooved. Bolster up existing joist with extra 2"x6" joists, let energy supplier insulate with extra 8" of insulation and finally I refix chipboard boards on new joist, thus compressing 8" of insulation into the 6" space. The chipboard floorboards at 1" will have an insulative effect too. We store numerous items in loft, not too much weight though.

My questions are:
1) should extra 6" joists be fixed in same direction as existing joists, ie running along the joists? If this way, is there a propriety joist fixing, something which has a letter H profile fixing to the top of one joist and bottom of the other?
2) Should new joists be added running at 90 degrees to existing joists. I could rake in extra loose insulation to fill up any voids before adding new 8" insulation rolls.
3) To keep costs down is there any alternate to wooden joists, or to keep integrity of house when I sell house on is it best to use wooden joists?
4) Has anyone experinced this issue before - sorry if raised by another topic in this forum, I'm a bit dislexic so I may not have been searchihing properly!
5) Would the extra 2"x6" joists add too much weight to loft floor/bedroom ceiling. Is there a lighter material to the wooden joists? I need 105 metres of joists to increase the floor level in the loft.
6) Finally - Whats best way to insulate loft hatch?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back