Adding height to the loft floor - for extra insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I was wondering if you could help. I've currently got just the roof joists in the loft, approx 100mm deep, and insulation laid between the joists.

Some of the loft has been boarded out for storage, however I'd like to add extra insulation, to save some cash on the gas bill, but also retain the boarding for storage.

At the moment the two schools of thought are, screw some extra lengths of 2by4 (either allong or across) the existing joists, fill in the gaps with insulation, and place the flooring on them.

Or get the loft insluation legs (see http://www.wickes.co.uk/content/ebiz/wickes/invt/100412/Loft-Legs-12-pack_large.jpg and place the flooring over the top of them.

Any advice? Anyone used those loft insulation legs before?

Sponsored Links
do not go for legs they increase point loading and increase the unsupported span by around 40%

go for 4x2 at right angles and concentrate the loads over any areas with walls underneath

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back