Add Extra Double Socket in Shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all,

I have a 6x8 shed which has already been hooked up with electrics. Currently has one double socket and a light switch by the door, but im looking to get an extra socket put in at the other end of the shed as I need to put a temporary chest freezer in.

Is it possible to spur off this existing socket with it only having one wire going into it which usually suggests this is a spurred one in itself? Is it different in this shed setup than inside the house?

pic & save

Sponsored Links
Its likely a radial circuit, can you confirm that the breaker in that board on the right of the picture that feeds the sockets is 16A (looks like it, but the picture has glare/reflections on it)?

A radial circuit may be extended to feed any number of sockets

Its likely a radial circuit, can you confirm that the breaker in that board on the right of the picture that feeds the sockets is 16A (looks like it, but the picture has glare/reflections on it)?

A radial circuit may be extended to feed any number of sockets

Yeah the socket breaker is a B16

Sponsored Links
That is not 10mm²! The 10mm refers to the cross-sectional area of the copper conductors, not the physical diameter of the cable sheat.
It MAY be big enough, but your picture gives no indication of scale. is there any information stamped on the sheath?

That is not 10mm²! The 10mm refers to the cross-sectional area of the copper conductors, not the physical diameter of the cable sheat.
It MAY be big enough, but your picture gives no indication of scale. is there any information stamped on the sheath?

Oops, sorry dumb moment there. Diameter of the copper strands per core is 1.5mm. So if my calculations are correct, this cable is spot on?

0.75 x 0.75 x 3.142 = 1.77 per core x 2 cores = 2.5ish

Or do i factor in earth too, in which case its around 5mm

Yes, that would square with the overall diameter, if you see what I mean.
16A is right on the edge for 1.5mm² cable. You can get a cut 10meters length of 2.5mm² T&E from Screwfarce, Tuillestation and the sheds for under a tenner.
The rest of the circuit is wired in 2.5mm² T&E, so you should cable the rest the same. Why not do the job properly?

Yes, that would square with the overall diameter, if you see what I mean.
16A is right on the edge for 1.5mm² cable. You can get a cut 10meters length of 2.5mm² T&E from Screwfarce, Tuillestation and the sheds for under a tenner.
The rest of the circuit is wired in 2.5mm² T&E, so you should cable the rest the same. Why not do the job properly?

Yeah absolutely, just had this stuff lying round and it looked the same thickness, but I guess the difference between the 2 is hardly visible to the eye. Just been and got the proper stuff

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back