Power to shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone.

I’m looking at putting temporary power to my shed before I book an electrician to put a permanent supply there For lights and power.

I usually run an extension lead to Power my battery charger for my motorbike. I’m thinking of doing this on semi permanent temporary basis.

im thinking of running a caravan 2.5mm hook up cable around the perimeter of my garden behind shrubs. Then route that into the shed to an RCD double socket. The mains plug would be a caravan hook up adapter to 13amp plug into the existing outside waterproof double socket. This has its own fuse on the consumer unit.

I would need to drill a hole in the wall of the shed to route the cable. What type of waterproof grommet/gasket would I need.

would the socket in the shed need to be a waterproof socket?

Sponsored Links
As it is temporary I would drill a hole the same size as the cable sloping slightly upwards from outside and then seal round the cable with silicon sealant. If the shed is on spaced beams consider drilling through the floor.

If the shed does not leak you don’t need a waterproof socket.

If the house CU is RCD protected you don’t need a RCD socket in the shed either.

As it is temporary I would drill a hole the same size as the cable sloping slightly upwards from outside and then seal round the cable with silicon sealant. If the shed is on spaced beams consider drilling through the floor.

If the shed does not leak you don’t need a waterproof socket.

If the house CU is RCD protected you don’t need a RCD socket in the shed either.
I'd advise against drilling the floor as water can creep up the cable if it's a gentle slope, otherwise good advice.

I'd suggest aiming for a more permanent arrangement as these temporary systems have a habit of becoming very permanent.

Hi everyone.

I’m looking at putting temporary power to my shed before I book an electrician to put a permanent supply there For lights and power.

I usually run an extension lead to Power my battery charger for my motorbike. I’m thinking of doing this on semi permanent temporary basis.

im thinking of running a caravan 2.5mm hook up cable around the perimeter of my garden behind shrubs. Then route that into the shed to an RCD double socket. The mains plug would be a caravan hook up adapter to 13amp plug into the existing outside waterproof double socket. This has its own fuse on the consumer unit.

I would need to drill a hole in the wall of the shed to route the cable. What type of waterproof grommet/gasket would I need.

would the socket in the shed need to be a waterproof socket?
Is it just for charging the battery? A small solar panel would do that

Sponsored Links
Must be better than I have, extension lead out of cat flap, to car one when one charger is plugged in and second extension lead away from weather under car one bonnet, that goes to car two with another charger is plugged in. However this is clearly temporary as it will all need rapping up before moving either car.

The caravan was parked in father-in-laws drive or our drive, and again each time caravan moved, the lead would be rapped up and inspected. Now use a storage place and no power.

But it is unlikely cable will be damaged along its length, it is where it has a plug or socket water, or snow may get in, snow is the worst as it can blow in, and with no heating nothing to dry it out, so first is a need for RCD protection at origin. My case a RCBO. Second is any plugs or sockets in a sheltered place, no amount of plastic bags will do, it needs free air to dry any water that does get in, so reasonable safe under car bonnet in my case, not cause a draft to house, the kitchen with cat flap is not heated, so that's OK, and a regular inspection, in my case no more than two weeks before cables are wrapped up again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back