Power from an outside Socket to a shed.

Sponsored Links
As in a proper connection. Not on a plug top in the front. Properly connected into the socket. The terminals of the socket

First off, that outside socket should already have rcd protection- ideally at the consumer unit. If it hasn't then the better bet would be to replace the FCU in the kitchen with something like this https://www.toolstation.com/safetysure-rcd-spur-white/p45636
Next one, you don't need to put SWA in conduit. Capping it where it runs down the wall is a good idea in public or high traffic areas, your back garden doesn't sound as if it requires it
Cable. 1.5mm 3 core SWA will be adequate (given that 13A FCU protecting it). Up to you if you want to use larger in case needs change in the future.
Terminating SWA isn't beyond DIY but does take care. Google it.
Testing- you won't have the kit. Talk to your electrician, you may find that if you do the donkey work (trench), they'll do the rest for not a huge amount more than you'd pay for materials

It's all making sense and really appreciate your help lads. The main fuse box does have RCD protection yes. Will check out youtube for the gland termination info I need and yes a metal double socket at the shed end sounds perfect.

Thanks for all the help I'll get some bits sorted and make a start.

Sponsored Links
Yes someone said on a previous reply about the OP wanting to plug into the socket and wire to the shed rather than actually making a proper connection onto the terminals

Hi folks, just about ready to start this job now. I have removed the outside IP66 switched socket box from the wall and have decided to replace it with an IP66 junction box.

The 2.5mm cable from the house will enter through the back of this and the 2.5mm SWA will enter through the bottom. Nice and neat.

Now bearing in mind the feed from the house is via a 13A Fused Spur what would be the maximum safe load I can use at the shed end and can it be increased in any way?

Just doing a bit of forward thinking with respect to maybe adding lights or maybe a second double socket if need to in the future. There is no way for me to take the power outside the house other than from this 13A Fused spur.

Then you are limited to 13A total power at any one time. What did you have in mind to connect at the far end?

Just finished erecting a new shed yesterday. Its next to the older shed that we've had for several years now.

The old shed has electric but was never done correctly and this time I want to get it right.

The plan is to take the SWA Cable into the new shed where one double socket and maybe a light will be sufficient. (Thoughts on installing a 2 way garage consumer unit please is it a good idea or not necessary) A 12v charger may be in use at the same time as 1 power saw for example. No tools will be used at night so its just an led light and the charger that might be drawing power at the same time.

I would like to rip out the wiring from the old shed and run a new cable from the new double socket into the old shed to power the existing double socket, and also another cable to power an led light.

The most I can ever see happening at any one time is me using a power saw whilst my son is using the hedge clippers and the 12v car charger is switched on. Will the 13A fuse be able to handle this or is it likely to keep blowing?

13A will be fine.
You do not need a second consumer unit in the shed. Its pointless from a 13A limited supply.
PS. Is the house supply protected by a 30mA RCD?

Just run the power to the double socket(s) for plug in things.
Then run cable to a switched FCU (3amp fuse) to be the light switch./ That's all you need,

Yes the house supply is protected by a 30mA RCD. Thank you so much for the advice want it to be safe and done correctly this time.

In that case, with respect, you would be better getting a competent electrician to install, test and certify the enterprise. Better than relying on advice from unknown, sundry, suspect, advice on an Internet forum:whistle:

Hi folks, just about ready to start this job now. I have removed the outside IP66 switched socket box from the wall and have decided to replace it with an IP66 junction box.
Wouldn't it have made more sense to keep it, on the grounds that it saves the cost of the JB, and more importantly, it could be a useful socket?

A while ago an electrician fitted me an outside double waterproof wall socket IP66 rated.
Surely you didn't have that done for no reason - have you never used the outside socket? What's changed such that you no longer need it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back