Spur from shed to garage.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a garage which takes its power supply from an RCD protected MCB in the main house CU via SWA cable.

In the garage is an older style fuse board with 1x output to a 1x double socket and 1x which goes to a single light fitting.

My idea was to take a spur from the power socket and terminate into a switched FCU, then run a short length of SWA outside bury it and bring it up into the shed. (Shed backs directly on to the garage).

In the shed I'll want a single light fitting and a plug socket that I can use to charge my drill and things like that.

Am I on the right lines with this?

Sponsored Links
My idea was to take a spur from the power socket and terminate into a switched FCU, then run a short length of SWA outside bury it and bring it up into the shed. (Shed backs directly on to the garage). ... In the shed I'll want a single light fitting and a plug socket that I can use to charge my drill and things like that. ... Am I on the right lines with this?
Conceptually that sounds OK - but you probably wouldn't need the FCU, since there is already a fuse in the garage fuse box. What size is that fuse serving the garage socket?

Kind Regards, John

Hi, if the fuse in the garage socket circuit is 15a i would-

spur off it with 1.5mm swa to my shed socket then to a switched fcu to supply my light. (fused at 3a). I would use metal clad accessories.

Regards,

DS

As sheds tend to be leakier than garages I'd go via a DP switch in the garage so that I could isolate it if need be.

Sponsored Links
Conceptually that sounds OK - but you probably wouldn't need the FCU, since there is already a fuse in the garage fuse box. What size is that fuse serving the garage socket?

Kind Regards, John

As sheds tend to be leakier than garages I'd go via a DP switch in the garage so that I could isolate it if need be.

I was just thinking of the FCU as an isolation point within the garage. Will have to check the fuse sizes.

I take it the DP isolates both the live and neutral?

I was just thinking of the FCU as an isolation point within the garage. Will have to check the fuse sizes. I take it the DP isolates both the live and neutral?
Yep - it isolates both L and N. You could use an FCU, but a DP switch would provide the required isolation point, and the fuse is probably not necessary (unless the fuse in the fusebox is too large, but that's very unlikely).

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back