Add Radiator to Microbore - manifold full

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

The title expalins the situation really. 6 rads from a single manifold on a microbore system at the moment.

How can i put another radiator (in the cellar i am currently converting) into the system.

a) change the manifold for one with more outlets
b) 'T' off of one of the pairs or microbore pipe (two pairs of pipes pass right along the cellar ceiling so this would be really easy - but is it possible)
c) fit another manifold from the 22mm main feed and start a new run. If this is the only way do i need to balance things out or can i leave it with 6 on the old manifold and just 1 on the new one.

Obviously b) is my choice but can it be done ?

Thanks for help.

Sponsored Links
a.Yes
b. Not really cos I bet it wont work very well
c. Yes and balance the new rad to restrict flow.

Its always the case that the correct way to do things is the ball ache!!

One rad will only just work on 8mm depending on size
If you have 10mm you are not much better off. Depends on the size of the rad on that supply.

Stan

pannierstan said:

Wow - rapid response - thanks for that stan.

Out of a) and c) I will do a) for simplicity because the manifold is very accesible under the stairs and it seems easy to replace. However, looking on the forum several people say whatever you do don't mess with the manifold - are there any major problems associated with the job that i should know about ?

Cheers.

If you can get to the central heating flow and return why dont you just tee off in 15mm then reduce down to the microbore you have (you didnt say what size) and then run the rad off that?

Now that was d) but you never mentioned it.

I for one wouldnt cut out a manifold and then resolder everything in. That is crazy :)

Stan

Sponsored Links
yes i would go before the manifold into the 15 or 22 and run 15mm to the cellar .. :)

2face said:
yes i would go before the manifold into the 15 or 22 and run 15mm to the cellar .. :)

Stan are you saying i can just T off the pre manifold pipes reduce down to 10mm and go straight to the new rad without a manifod ? (I presume balance the flow with the valves to get it right)

2Face are you saying i can just intercept the main 22mm run with 15mm reducers straight to the new rad without worrying about a manifold or microbore piping at all - just like a normal 15mm system just for this rad ?

Both these ideas sound very interesting chaps :idea:

You certainly can and it sounds like you have enough nouse to do it.

Stan

just ignore the manifold .. and go before it ..
remeber to balence the system to allow for the new rad .

That's great advice - thanks fellas saved me a headache there.

All the very best to you both.

Don

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back