Add smokes to intruder alarm or separate system?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been considering adding 6 Menvier M12 smoke / heat detectors to my existing intruder alarm system. These would cover Garage, Kitchen, Hall, Lounge, Landing and Loft space.

Would this be the best way to go or would using mains interconnected alarms be a better bet? If so are there any brands that are recommended?

Sponsored Links
I think I'd go for the M12s, if you've got enough spare zones on your alarm. Cabling is easier, there's battery backup from the alarm and you can use the alarm's communications (if fitted). The downside is that you'll need to make sure that you can hear it!

Personally I prefer to keep what are essentially 'safety critical' and 'convenience' devices completely separate. If your alarm fails for some reason then that's unfortunate, though it's unlikely to cost you your life. However, if your smoke alarms don't activate and wake you up because of a fire at 2am then this is more serious.

In a full Grade A or Grade B fire alarm system everything is centrally powered and monitored, and connected to individual sensors and sounders using fireproof cable. If there is a fire then you can be pretty sure that the alarm system is going to activate. If individual sensors fail the fire panel will detect this pretty quickly and alert that this is the case. Fire panels are also pretty much fail-safe and will carry out their own internal self-tests to make sure that any problems are quickly identified.

Sensors like those from Texecom and Menvier are great, but are centrally powered, and have no inbuilt sounder. If the power supply fails, or the panel fails then you instantly lose all protection. I've avoided installing this type of detectors for exactly this reason. If you want to be remotely notified of the smoke alarms activating then fit Aico alarms and the ei128r relay module. If the alarms sound then the relay module triggers a zone on the alarm. If the power fails or the alarm processor has a ill-timed funny five minutes then the individual alarms can work independently, powered by their own internal 9v battery. You don't have quite the same 'convenience' of knowing which particular smoke detector operated, though if you're in the building this is easy to identify - and if you're not then this information still doesn't confirm whether its a false alarm or not.

Sponsored Links
I agree on the smokes, but saying that the Texecom wireless smokes have built in sounders and they will trigger all the units on the same area.

However you have to make sure the batteries are replaced, cleaned and regularly tested, mains connected detectors also need testing and cleaning regular.

Personally I prefer to keep what are essentially 'safety critical' and 'convenience' devices completely separate.... If you want to be remotely notified of the smoke alarms activating then fit Aico alarms and the ei128r relay module. If the alarms sound then the relay module triggers a zone on the alarm.

Agreed.

Or instead of using a relay module, just have a smoke sensor on the alarm system in the hall. That'll usually be sufficient to phone you and tell you your house is on fire while you're on holiday in Alicante. Have an interlinked smoke alarm system for life safety while you're at home.

Bit of a thread revival (but at least I use the search function!)

Been having the same dilemma.

I do see the benefit of having the systems separated, but is it not doubling up the things to go wrong?

One of the reasons for having them integrated with the alarm is the ability to use 'Rate of rise' detectors, not readily available for the likes of Kidde or Aico. They don't make detectors a versatile as the Menvier M12

We have a couple of areas that are not clear cut as to which detector will be best (large open plan kitchen/lounge and vaulted hallway) and the ability to easily change function may be useful.

As I'm plumbing in a new Texecom Premier Elite 48 it seemed daft not to make best use of it.

Curious to know if the Cooper 5in1 Multi Sensor (FXN922) would work with the Texecom 48 like the M12

Any thoughts?

I went with the AICO units with a relay module connected to a zone on the alarm in the end and I'm happy with it. I get texts when the smokes go off, I don't know which one caused the alarm but thats not really a worry. I like having the two systems separated for the reasons above.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back