Added too much water to paint

Xad

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was going to paint some walls; i read about mist coats and stupidly thought i'd give it a try using it as an undercoat -- big mistake adding the water. Anyway, i added too much water and the paints far too thin now, it drips like crazy even when you try to put a little bit on whether it be with a roller or paintbrush.

Is there anyway to remove the excess water? I read one person tried leaving the lid open and letting the heat from the sun evaporate the water, stirring it once in a while to prevent a skin from forming. Would that be effective? How long would that take? (about a cup of water equalling about 1/5 of the paint).

Or could i just let it sit for a few days and the water will rise to the top allowing removal?

Sponsored Links
I was going to paint some walls; i read about mist coats and stupidly thought i'd give it a try using it as an undercoat -- big mistake adding the water. Anyway, i added too much water and the paints far too thin now, it drips like crazy even when you try to put a little bit on whether it be with a roller or paintbrush.

Is there anyway to remove the excess water? I read one person tried leaving the lid open and letting the heat from the sun evaporate the water, stirring it once in a while to prevent a skin from forming. Would that be effective? How long would that take? (about a cup of water equalling about 1/5 of the paint).

Or could i just let it sit for a few days and the water will rise to the top allowing removal?
Pour some of the watered down paint into another paint tub and just add more paint to it. But make sure you add it gradually instead of waiting until the water evaporates you will have the job done by the time this happens.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back